Re: [allthingshistory] Veteran, 109, revisits WWI trench

  • Dave Imrie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2007
      It is pronounced "EEP".

      Canada's last surviving World War I veteran is now 109 years of age.  Interestingly, he moved to Spokane, Washington in 1925 and remained there.

      David Imrie

      On 7/30/07, Andrew Jackson <dradjackson@...> wrote:

      Hello Krissa,

      Good thing the old guy is still around. I am well aware that Field Marshal Haig was willing to lose 50,000 men to move the front one mile.  Lloyd George disliked him for that.  Haig was apparently related to the family that produced Haig & Haig scotch and was well known for having no sense of humor and not praising his men for anything. Through all that there is one bit of humor.  The various battles of Ypres ((pronounced something like "eep" in French)) were pronounced "wipers" by the British soldiers. I found that a bit humorous.

      Andrew

      Krissa Klein <krissaklein@ gmail.com> wrote:
      Veteran, 109, revisits WWI trench
      Harry Patch
      The Germans suffered the same as we did
      Harry Patch
      The last known surviving British soldier to have fought in the trenches of World War I has revisited the site where he fought 90 years ago.
      Harry Patch, 109, from Somerset, made the trip to Belgium to recall his part in the Battle of Passchendaele which claimed 250,000 British casualties.
      He also went to pay homage to the tens of thousands of German soldiers who lost their lives.
      Tuesday marks the anniversary of the start of the Battle of Passchendaele.
      Badly wounded
      Mr Patch served with the Duke of Cornwall's light infantry and was called up for service while working as an 18-year-old apprentice plumber in Bath.
      During the fighting Mr Patch was badly wounded and three of his best friends were killed when a shell exploded just yards from where he was standing.
      He made the trip with historian Richard van Emden, who helped Mr Patch write down his memories.
      Wreath laid
      Mr van Emden showed him the five miles they advanced over 99 days which claimed 3,000 British casualties every day.
      Harry Patch visiting the WWI trench with historian Richard van Emden
      Harry Patch visited the battlefield with historian Richard van Emden
      Mr Patch was also shown a recently discovered panoramic photograph of the fields taken in 1917.
      "Too many died. War isn't worth one life," said Mr Patch.
      He said war was the "calculated and condoned slaughter of human beings".
      Mr Patch laid a wreath at the site of the trench, which now forms part of a German war cemetery.
      War effort
      "The Germans suffered the same as we did," he said.
      BATTLE OF PASSCHENDAELE
      The battle lasted from 31 July to 6 November 1917
      An initial bombardment of German positions involved 4.5m shells and 3,000 guns
      The battle was infamous for the mud - shelling had churned clay soil and smashed drains
      The heaviest rain for 30 years made the mud so deep men and horses drowned
      The battle ended when British and Canadian forces captured Passchendaele
      The village was barely five miles beyond the starting point of the offensive
      There was a total of 325,000 Allied and 260,000 German casualties
      Germany also had heavy losses in the battle which has been described as one of the bloodiest and most brutal of the Great War.
      The Battle of Passchendaele was officially known as the Third Battle of Ypres - the name of the principal town within a bulge in the British lines.
      British commanders wanted to reach the Belgian coast to destroy German submarine bases following a warning that a blockade would soon cripple the war effort.
      There was also the prospect of a Russian withdrawal from the war which would strengthen the Germans on the Western Front.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6921217.stm

    • DJ
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2007
        It's quite.
        Thanks
        DJ

        --- In allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Imrie"
        <dave.imrie@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > offensive
        > > There was a total of 325,000 Allied and 260,000 German casualties
        > > Germany also had heavy losses in the battle which has been
        described as
        > > one of the bloodiest and most brutal of the Great War. The Battle
        of
        > > Passchendaele was officially known as the Third Battle of Ypres -
        the name
        > > of the principal town within a bulge in the British lines. British
        > > commanders wanted to reach the Belgian coast to destroy German
        submarine
        > > bases following a warning that a blockade would soon cripple the
        war effort.
        > > There was also the prospect of a Russian withdrawal from the war
        which
        > > would strengthen the Germans on the Western Front.

        <http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/email/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/
        europe/6921217.stm> Printable
        > > version

        <http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/
        europe/6921217.stm>

        > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6921217.stm

        > > Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s
        user

        panel<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48516/*http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gm
        rs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7+>and lay it on us.