Re: [allthingshistory] Divers Find 200-Year-Old Cannon in Detroit River

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2011
      Please do share!

      On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Elena Vaccaro <earthandice@...> wrote:

      It is really interesting what can be found in rivers, streams and lakes. I am back to my family tree, on the Delaware River which is the earliest line I have in the States. My Swedish ancestors (I really wish I looked like one of them instead of the generic German that I do) buried several cannon in one of the abandoned forts, not telling anyone else.

      The suspicion they were buried comes from the standard practice of the day that if the pieces could not be hauled away, they were to be hidden to be recovered later. Those cannon have not turned up in any record, New Amsterdam, Swedish or English. The theory is they are still in what is left of the berm of the fort, which is now, I think designated an Historical Site in New Jersey.

      Actually, I might just write up some of my ancestors to post here. New Sweden was the third colony that survived, being established in 1642.

      Elena

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2011
        Indeed!

        Lin

        On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

        Please do share!

        On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Elena Vaccaro <earthandice@...> wrote:

        It is really interesting what can be found in rivers, streams and lakes. I am back to my family tree, on the Delaware River which is the earliest line I have in the States. My Swedish ancestors (I really wish I looked like one of them instead of the generic German that I do) buried several cannon in one of the abandoned forts, not telling anyone else.

        The suspicion they were buried comes from the standard practice of the day that if the pieces could not be hauled away, they were to be hidden to be recovered later. Those cannon have not turned up in any record, New Amsterdam, Swedish or English. The theory is they are still in what is left of the berm of the fort, which is now, I think designated an Historical Site in New Jersey.

        Actually, I might just write up some of my ancestors to post here. New Sweden was the third colony that survived, being established in 1642.

        Elena
        >^..^<

        Fourth cannon pulled from river in last 30 years

        By Greg Wilson - KNBC-TV Los Angeles
        |  Wednesday, Sep 7, 2011  |  Updated 8:51 AM PDT
        Police divers found a 200-year-old cannon in in the Detroit River.

        The six-foot-long cannon, which weighs 1,200 pounds, will be pulled to dry land today, according to the Detroit Free Press. It is the fifth such cannon to be found in the last 30 years in the area around the city's Cobo Center. It was found during training dives and was covered in zebra mussels.

        "We've dove that area hundreds of times and never came across it," said Sgt. Dean Rademaker, who was also on hand when the last cannon was found, in 1994.

        How the cannons, believed to be British, got in the Detroit River remains unclear. Experts theorize the British may have been moving some down the river to Ft. Malden in Amherstburg, Ontario, when they went overboard or the boat sunk in 1796, Detroit Historical Society Curator Joel Stone said. Another may have sunk with a barge based on some debris found near it, Stone said.

        Rademaker was diving about 200 feet off the river bank when he spotted a silhouette atop river bottom, he told the paper.

        "It was something that wasn't supposed to be there," he said. He quickly realized it was yet another cannon.

        "I thought to myself, 'You gotta be kidding me,' " he said.

        Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/weird/Divers-Find-200-Year-Old-Cannon-in-Detroit-River-129381428.html?__source=Newsletter-Daily

        Roxxfoxx~~Adventures in Geology
        Penguin News Today
        Penguinology: The Science of Penguins
        Gentoo Penguins of Gars O'Higgins Station, Antarctica
        Canis lupus 101
        Dances with Werewolve
        Through Golden Eyes