"Odd" Inadequately Describes This

  • Dale A. Wood
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2011
      Odd pronunciations from the other side of the Atlantic !

      Something about the British and their mispronunciations of foreign (to them) words from Spanish, German, Portuguese, Polish, etc., is that they are far cockier and careless than even Americans are (and sometimes we could stand some improvement, too).

      No, to me the common British attitude comes across as a "to Hell with all the rest attitude", and that commonly includes Americans, Mexicans, Canadians, and Germans, too.

      Observe these following words. NONE of them ends in that horrid "EEZ" sound that they put on "Los Angeles".

      Alvarez, Alvares, Benitez, Cortes, Cortez, Esteves, Estevez, Fernandes, Fernandez, Gomez, Gonzales, Gonzalez, Hernandez, Lopez, Ibanez, Juarez, Melendez, Mendes, Mendez, Ordones, Ordonez, Peres, Perez, Ramieres, Ramierez, Sanches, Sanchez, Torres, Torrez, and Urbanes, etc. WE generally know how to say all of these.

      There are also a few geographical names of this type such as Point Reyes, California. (Reyes is said just like Reyez.)
      Can you think of any more?

      Here we have the surnames of scores of star baseball players from Latin America, (including Tony Perez, Keith Hernandez, and Manny Fernandez), the surnames of an American Nobel Laureate (Luiz Alvarez), Commodore Mendez of Star Fleet, a great starship pilot (Carmen Ibanez of Starship Troopers), and lots of other great people from the United States, Mexico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Central America, South America, etc.: athletes, actors, judges, politicians, singers, scientists, engineers, models....

      Perhaps we ought to start saying "London" like "Londooun"?

      Of course, this might cause some problems concerning London, Ontario, London, Kentucky, London, Ohio, London, Texas, New London, Connecticut, New London County, Connecticut, New London, New Hampshire, New London, Ohio, New London, Wisconsin, New London, Prince Edward Island, East London, South Africa, et cetera

      It is interesting that I have not been able to find any article about a place named South London in the Southern Hemisphere -- not even in Australia,  New Zealand, South Africa, Zambia, etc. Odd.
      New Zealand contains a city named Palmerston North, but I have been unable to find a Palmerston South. Also, in the Southern Hemisphere, there are both the islands of South Georgia and New Georgia (practically uninhabited, both of them). South Georgia is a frigid place, and New Georgia is a tropical place (in the Solomon Islands) that is infested with mosquitos, snakes, and malaria.

      Australia and New Zealand have numerous cities and towns that are named for older ones in the Northern Hemisphere, such as Albany, Brighton, Cambridge, Dover, Dunedin, Gloucester, Hamilton, Hastings, Newcastle, New Plymouth, Perth, Port Augusta, and Portland.

      I was quite surprised to hear about a survey that an international travel magazine held in 2009 or 2010 in Europe. They asked, "From which country does the most obnoxious foreign tourists come?"

      I thought that they answer would be "from the United States", of course --
      but much to my surprise the answer -- by a wide margin -- was France!

      Wow,  DAW