Tragic Consequences of CSF (Chronic Sexual Frustration)

  • Dale A. Wood
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2011
      Hello,

      It is amazing how the writers and reporters for TV new services do this:
      They get "locked onto" some word or some phrase, and then they use it over and over again, incorrectly, without ever bothering to think about it very much or to look it up anywhere, such as in a dictionary or in an encyclopdia. [Both of these things are SO EASY to do nowadays via the Internet, also.] They especially neglect to do such things if the subject has anything to do with aviation, engineering, technology, aerospace work, or the physical sciences.

      Their latest such phrase is "rural airport", with the implication in their sentences that these are airports with regularly-scheduled passenger flights for which tickets are sold for transportation from here to there.
      Well, there is no such thing.
      All airports with that kind of service are "urban airports".

      Note the following definition that I looked up in an on-line dictionary today:
      URBAN: of, pertaining to, or designating a city or town.
      Antonym of urban: RURAL.

      Rural airports would be located on or near these:
      1. farms   2. ranches   3. mines   4. resorts
      5. National Forests or State Forests
      6. National Parks or State Parks
      7. some other places associated with natural resources or recreation

      None of these rural airports have any regularly-scheduled airline service to get to and from them because there is no reason for any. There is a technical term for what goes on at these airports: General Aviation, and there are tens of thousands of these airport in the United States,

      I did spend a year living not too far from the Grand Canyon National Park (when I was in Flagstaff, Arizona), but one does not buy a ticket and fly to the Grand Canyon. There is an airport there that receives private or charter flights, and you can also buy a ticket for a sightseeing flight**, but you land at the same airport that you took off from. If you want to travel to see the Grand Canyon, you generally got their by car, by bus, or by railroad**.

      Right now, I live in a county in Alabama that only has one significant town in it, plus a couple of villages, and there is just one county airport that is definitely a rural airport, not located near any town or village, and not having any airline service. This is a part of Alabama that is full of farms, ranches, and forests -- plus there are a few small factories here and there.
      There are many parts of the United States that are like this, and we have rural airports.

      I also lived in east-central Florida for a year (on the Space Coast), and I got to know a man there who owned his own airplane and he was a former pilot for the U.S. Navy. One weekend he invited me to fly with him for Sunday brunch at a real rural airport out in the middle of the state. The main reason for that airport's being there was that there was a golfing resort there. So, we flew out there and we had a great meal. The problem was I ate rather a lot, and then the weather got a little rough on the flight back home. I did not upchuck, but I nearly did so, and I really wished that I had not eaten so much. We had to make a crosswind landing at the Melbourne, Fla., airport, and that upset my stomach somewhat.
      Of course, my host was used to making crosswind landings anytime, anywhere!
      When it comes to me, I don't usually have any trouble with airsickness or seasickness at all -- which is one reason why I remember that flight so clearly.

      I wonder why people on TV cannot use simple but precise terms like town airports or small-city airports, and I can name examples of dozens of places that have these: Albany, Ga., Aspen, Bakersfield, Belleville, Casper, Cody, Dothan, Evansville, Flagstaff, Fresno, Ft. Myers, Gilettee, Jonesboro, Kalamazoo, Las Cruces, Montpelier, Nome, Odessa, Oswego, Pensacola, Quincy, Rock Springs, Steamboat Springs, Sun Valley, Truth or Consequences, Urbana, Van Nuys, Vincenes, Walla Walla, Xenia, Youngstown, Zanesville, or Zebulon. (Zebulon is one of my favorite place names because that is the county seat of Pike County, Georgia. Get it: Zebulon Pike?) I cannot guarantee which ones of these have regularly-scheduled passenger flights or not.

      **I only got to live in Flagstaff for one year -- because that was as long as my employment lasted there -- an in that time I neglected to go there to take a flight over the Canyon on an airplane or a helicopter. Also, there is a steam-powered tourist train from Williams, Arizona, to the South Rim and back, and I neglected to ride that one while I could, either. Rats!

      DAW

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2011
          I am retitling some of his posts when I approve them as was the case here. My title suggests a root cause of his OCD when it comes to nitpicking over minutia.

          Kimmer

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2011
              Personally, I find the re-titled mess far better; at least there is something about them all that now makes sense. ;-)

              Lin

              Well that is going to confuse the rest of us when there is a titillating title and the post doesn't follow thru. I vote we leave Mr. Woods alone and see what he comes up with. Sometimes he is interesting. I do have to say..you title was funny though...Allison

              I am retitling some of his posts when I approve them as was the case here. My title suggests a root cause of his OCD when it comes to nitpicking over minutia.

              Kimmer

              On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Allison Loukanis <allison.m.loukanis@...> wrote:

              What on earth does a rural/small town/whatever airport have to do with chronic sexual frustration?  Are you bored? Allison

              Penguin News Today
              Penguinology: The Science of Penguins
              Gentoo Penguins of Gars O'Higgins Station, Antarctica
              Canis lupus 101
              Dances with Werewolve
              Through Golden Eyes

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 7, 2011
                I think you should have retitled it "Ritualized Owl Stretching as a Rite of Passage in Eastern Timor".