I have come across a new word in my experience: "illiterati" !

  • Dale A. Wood
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2011

      I have come across a new word in my experience: illiterati**, in the SKEPTICAL INQUIRER magazine, the issue of July / August 2001, page 45:

      "Finally, there is the much-larger, more-diffuse group, [for] which we [use the] term the illiterati. These are people for whom membership in the '9/11 Truthers' is as much a social and recreational pursuit as an exercise in critical inquiry....
      They are the worst offenders for flouting the basic tenents of good journalism -- accurate quotation, avoidance of misrepresentation, and fidelity of sources -- and their contributions, almost entirely devoid of genuine intent to find [the] truth, are almost nakedly and transparently propagandistic...."

      Wow, what a word: illiterati ! We have been coping with these for at least 15 years in various other places: in the Congress of the United States, on the FOX News Channel, in the G.W. Bush Administration, in British tabloid "journalism", and on thousands of Web sites, too.

      **This is actually a seldom-used word (so far) that is in few dictionaries.
      According to www.Dictionary.com on the Internet, illiterati is only listed in the Random House Dictionary (rather than in several different ones), and it was first used sometime between 1780 and 1790. This word is a blend of "illiterate" and "literati", and to me it also seems to be created by analogy with "illuminati", which was first used sometime between 1590 and 1600. This is closely-related to the capitalized version, The Illuminati.

      DAW