DNA can't confirm remains of pioneer Ranger

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2011
      I hate when that happens . . .

      DNA can't confirm remains of pioneer Ranger found
      The Houston Chronicle, June 13, 2011

      DNA testing has failed to confirm that human remains uncovered near a
      Central Texas cemetery belong to a legendary Texas Ranger killed in an
      Indian attack almost two centuries ago, the Texas Historical Commission
      said Monday. DNA samples collected this year from a Falls County
      gravesite could not conclusively be matched to pioneer lawman James
      Coryell, although evidence unearthed suggests it is him, said James
      Bruseth, the commission's archaeology division director and leader of
      the project. "We are disappointed that we could not conclusively confirm
      that this is James Coryell through DNA analysis, but I am convinced from
      all the other archival clues yielded during this research that this is
      indeed the famed Texas Ranger," he said.
      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/military/7608537.html