At the Brookhaven National Laboratory they have produced atomic nuclei...

  • Dale A. Wood
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 6:15 AM

      At the Brookhaven National Laboratory they have recently produced some atomic nuclei that consist of two antiprotons and two antineutrons:

      In other words, these are either anti-alpha particles,
      or anti-helium nuclei. Take your choice for what you want to call them.

      This nuclear-physics laboratory is located on Long Island, New York -- near a town called Brookhaven, naturally.
      Given that there is another town called Stony Brook, I wonder how many other locations on Long Island have names that include the word "brook"? I don't think that there is a larger body of water there that you could really call a river, so there are not any of these, as far as I know: Charles River, Green River, Indian River, James River, Long River, New River, Red River, White River, Yankee River, etc.

      Of course, here is a case that the East River is actually WEST of Long Island, and the East River is not really a river because it has saltwater (or brackish water) in it.

      Likewise, in Florida the Banana River and the Indian River are not really rivers, but rather they are really long, narrow lagoons full of brackish water. Their salinity varies according to how much rain has fallen lately. These lagoons separate the offshore barrier "islands" from the mainland.

      DAW