Re: [allthingshistory] Mexico pyramids under threat - Urggh !

  • Dale A. Wood
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2011

      NO, NOT THE WAY IT IS DONE, EXCEPT FOR IGNORAMUSES !

      We don't want to coddle ignoramuses, either!

      High class journalists write out the correct words.

      Also, have you ever noticed that in cases in which paper and in is used:

      "Dutch" is much shorter that "The Netherlands"
      "Swiss" is much shorter than "Switzerland"
      "Czech" was much shorter than "Czechoslovakian"
      "Thai" is much shorter than "Thailand"

      "Greek" is shorter than "Greece",
      "German" is shorter than "Germany",
      "Danish" is shorter than "Denmark"
      "American" is shorter than "United States"
      "Kurdish" is shorter than "Kurdistan"
      "Hindu" is shorter than "Hindustan"

      "French" is same length as "France", and likewise for the pairs (Belgian, Belgium), (Finnish, Finland), (Polish, Poland), (Texan, Texas), and in several other cases.

      Also, in these cases, the difference in length of the words is trivial:
      (Israel, Israeli), (Iraq, Iraqi), (Pakistan, Pakistani), (Bengal, Bengali), (Kuwait, Kuwaiti), (Bangladesh, Bangladeshi), (Turkey, Turkish), (Serbia, Serbian), (Mexico, Mexican), (Java, Javan), (Morroco, Morrocan) and dozens more.

      Personally, I have never seen "Israel Air Force" rather "Israeli Air Force", but I don't doubt that it will happen soon.

      No, Bob, you should not coddle ignoramuses because that is just the way that we get more and more of them.

      Let me give credit where credit is due. The associate dean at Wor-Wic Community College was Annie Grimm, and I must have told her so many time that letting college students slide by on little or nothing, and giving in to their whims was NBG (NFG, if you please). I told her that their feet needed to be held to the fire on a regular basis (!).

      Finally, Annie started saying things like, "Coddling the students -- that is no good, isn't it," and "We don't want to be coddling the students, do we?"

      I nodded my head and said something like, "Especially no coddling of students in electronics engineering technology!" But it was Annie who came up with the words "coddle" and "coddling".

      Coddling dumbasses is the surest way to get more and more of them.
      Don't coddle dumbasses!

      Dale A. Wood

      From: robert-blau@... <robert-blau@...>
      Subject: Re: [allthingshistory] Mexico pyramids under threat - Urggh !
      To: allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: piantanida31@..., martinbaxter7@..., "Scott S. Blake" <Tubetater@...>, "Pat Cline" <megadittoes@...>, "Mike Cox" <mrcox1@...>, "Harry Harrison" <cgabriel@...>, "Walter Hopkins" <walterhopkins3@...>, "Natasha n-Yudzon" <Natasha@...>, "Martin Sankey" <sankeymartin@...>, "Oliver Shanks" <oshanks2003@...>
      Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 10:11 PM

      Dale, that's the way headlines are done on this planet. With all due
      respect . . .

      GET OVER IT!!!!

      (And find something slightly more worthy to agonize over, like, say,
      starving orphans in Zaire. Really. Mental institutions are full of
      people who worry about the things that you do to the extent that you do.
      I just wanted you to know.     :)     )

      ----------
      "Burt and Ernie are PUPPETS. GET OVER IT!!!!"
      – SNL

      --- On Wed, 3/30/11, Dale A. Wood <
      From: Dale A. Wood <
      europamoon100@...>
      To:
      ancient_discoveries@yahoogroups.com,
      allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, Cc:
      "Scott S. Blake" <
      Tubetater@...>, "Pat Cline"
      <
      megadittoes@...>, "Mike Cox" <mrcox1@...>, "Harry Harrison"
      <
      cgabriel@...>, "Walter Hopkins" <walterhopkins3@...>,
      "Natasha n-Yudzon" <
      Natasha@...>, "Robert R-2-Blau"
      <
      rb2717@...>, "Martin Sankey" <sankeymartin@...>,
      "Oliver Shanks" <
      oshanks2003@...>
      Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 7:35 AM
      Bob, you really need to refrain from forwarding anything as ignorant
      as one that says "Mexico Pyramids". Urggh !

      I am reminded of an old story from the 1960s:

      Naval officer to a sailor: What are you doing son?

      Sailor: I am mopping the floor, sir.

      Officer: Mopping the floor? Mopping the floor?
      You, son, are swabbing the deck.
      (pointing) That is the deck, that is the bulkhead, that is the
      overhead, and it you don't get it straight, I am going to push you
      right out through one of those little round windows !!
      Bob, are you ready to be thrown out through a port(hole) ?

      Those are Mexican pyramids, and I have visited a huge Canadian lake,
      where I spent my vacation on a lovely Canadian island called Manitoulin
      Island**.

      I paid a nice visit to a Bahamian seaport, and I do yearn to go see
      the Swiss and Austrian Alps, the Southern Alps (in New Zealand), the
      Australian Alps, and the Transylvanian Alps.

      Next, I want to go to South America so that I can shop for Uruguayan
      leather coats, jackets, and belts, and then go see the beautiful
      Argentinean and Chilean Andes and also go out at night to see the
      unfamiliar constellations of the Southern celestial hemisphere, such as
      Carina, the Microscope, the Telescope, and the Southern Cross, and the
      star Alpha Centauri, which is never visible from where I live,
      though it can bee seen in the Hawaiian sky and part of the Mexican
      sky part of the year.

      The constellation of the Centaur was clearly visible to ancient Greek
      and Babylonian astronomers, but due to the precession and nutation of
      the axis of the Earth,
      click:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutation
      click: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession,
      most of the Centaur is now a constellation of the southern celestial
      hemisphere.

      Now, I am going to toss your telescope out through one of those little
      round windows !

      Sincerely yours,

      Dale A. Wood

      From:
      robert-blau@... <robert-blau@...>
      Subject: [allthingshistory] Mexico pyramids under threat
      Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 9:51 PM
      Mexico pyramids under threat
      News 24 [South Africa], 2011-03-19
      On every equinox, tens of thousands of people arrive at Mexico's
      archaeological sites to contemplate the wonders left by ancient
      civilisations. The ritual, however, forces archaeologists to expand
      their efforts to protect the pyramids. The spring equinox, which marks
      the beginning of the season in the northern hemisphere, is on Sunday at
      23:21 GMT, when the equator is on the same plane as the sun and day and
      night are both 12 hours. Sites like Teotihuacan, Palenque, Cuicuilco or
      Monte Alban traditionally host large crowds on March 20 - 21.
      Archaeology enthusiasts and mystic pilgrims come together on the ruins.
      Experts say that such crowds constitute an excessive burden on the
      pyramids and can harm their structures, so there have been restrictions
      for some time. In some cases, like Kukulkan, restricted access is
      permanent, while sites like the Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan impose
      limits on the number of visitors specifically for the equinox.
      http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Mexico-pyramids-under-threat-20110319

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:

          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

      allthingshistory-digest@yahoogroups.com

      allthingshistory-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
        Dear Mr. Wood,
          Maybe you should think about something else. Like, for example, the way our teenagers begin every sentence with"like". Like, you know...like that. Like it's infectious....Allison

        From: Dale A. Wood <
        europamoon100@...>
        To:
        Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 7:35 AM

        From:
        robert-blau@... <robert-blau@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011

          Like, we don't want to coddle, like, ignoramuses, either!

          LOL,  DAW:
          From: Allison Loukanis <allison.m.loukanis@...>
          To: allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 8:12 AM

          Dear Mr. Wood,
            Maybe you should think about something else. Like, for example, the way our teenagers begin every sentence with"like".  Like, you know...like that. Like, it's like infectious!....Allison

          Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 9:06:07 PM

          NO, NOT THE WAY IT IS DONE, EXCEPT FOR BY IGNORAMUSES !

[...]

          Coddling dumbasses is the surest way to get more of them!

        • Lin Kerns
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
            Mr. Wood,

            I am a former English professor and I will comment here on Rob's (not Bob's) forwarding of said article:

            Rob is not responsible for another person's usage of language; instead, he takes time out from his busy schedule and posts a great many articles for our enlightenment. We appreciate what he does, for without him, our history group would not be what it is. If you attack him personally for something that was not of his making, then you err egregiously.

            You have shouted at him, intimated that he "coddles ignoramuses," and then you proceeded to preach to him in a most pedantic manner. Shame on you for your arrogance. Obviously, you have never heard of "code switching," which is a dialectical usage of  language in a particular region, or you are unaware that our language is a fluid beast, constantly evolving, growing, and changing. You also do not have any sympathy for a reporter who maybe was up half the night working on a story and who was very tired and sleepy when he wrote the article title in question.

            There are any number of reasons why that title was used, but what is  important here is that you have shown us more of your character than any of us would prefer to see. Tuck your snotty and belittling comments in your pocket and go do something more profitable with your time.

            Lin

            From: Dale A. Wood <
            europamoon100@...>
            To:
            Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 7:35 AM

            From:
            robert-blau@... <robert-blau@...>
            Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 9:51 PM
            Mexico pyramids under threat

            --
            Got Penguins?

            Penguin News Today
            The Science of Penguins
            The Gentoos are back! Come see them on live cam at:
            Gentoo Penguins of Gars O'Higgins Station, Antarctica

          • Elena Vaccaro
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
              Thank you Lin.

              LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATH WE TAKE
              BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

              >^,,^<

              Elena

              From: Dale A. Wood <
              europamoon100@...>
              To:
              Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 7:35 AM

              From:
              robert-blau@... <robert-blau@...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2011
                *Moderator's Note: Isn't High-Functioning Autism fascinating to watch?

                Bob's busy schedule? Do not make me rupture myself from laughing so hard. Bob had told me that he is over 90 years old (!). If that was a lie, it came straight from his fingers.

                Forwarding the writings of people who are ignorant of the English language** w/o correcting them IS coddling ignoramuses.

                **People who do not know that English has nouns, verbs, adverbs, pronouns, conjunctions, etc., and there is a time and a place for all of these are ignorant of the English language, and they should be corrected.
                Would you rather that English deteriorate into some language like Chinese, which has:
                1. No singulars or plurals of nouns or verbs.
                2. No conjugation of verbs into present tense, future tense, past tense, present perfect tense, etc.?
                3. No genders, subjective case, objective case, or possessive case of pronouns. Have you ever heard how Chinese people who have learned some English have trouble with using these correctly:
                {he, him, his}, {she, her, her, hers}, {it, it, its}, {they, them, their} ?
                Have you ever heard one of them call a woman "he", a man "she", and so forth? Well, I have not been living under a rock, and I have known lots of Chinese students in graduate schools in Missouri, Georgia, California, and Tennessee, and I have taught Chinese undergraduate students who really struggled with English.

                TO THEIR GREAT CREDIT: Their reading, writing, and understanding of English is usually essentially perfect. It is their speaking of English that causes them to have great trouble, especially with singular vs. plural, subjective case vs. objective case, and the genders of pronouns.

                DO YOU WANT AMERICANS, BRITONS, CANADIANS,  AUSSIES, AND IRISHMEN*** TO LET ENGLISH DETERIORATE IN THAT DIRECTION? Or to move in the direction of Arabic, Japanese, Swahili, Ebonics, Jive, or any other language?

                I am proud of Proper American English the way it was about 15 years ago, and I plan to keep it that way. I will fight for it.

                ***If the Irish do not want to speak and write Proper English, such as what Abraham Lincoln, Isaac Asimov, Sir Arthur C. Clarke, and Carl Sagan used, let them speak Erse.
                If you do not know what Erse is, then look it up.
                It is a word in American and Canadian dictionaries.

                DAW

                click: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutation%c2%a0
                click: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession,%c2%a0

                From: robert-blau@... <robert-blau@...>