John Brown rides the big swing

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hello Group,

      I note the irony that in a way the applecart got turned over twice in 1859- Charles Darwin publishing The Origin of Species and John Brown raiding Harper's Ferry.  Both performances historically got mixed reviews.  In a way John Brown's raid had its modern counterpart in the Bay of Pigs fiasco (1961).  John Brown stood trial for treason against the state of Virginia and was sentenced to hang.  He rode the big swing on December 2, 1859.