Ancient Americas

  • robert-blau@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Amazon: Archaeological wonder or alien crop circles?
      GlobalPost [USA], November 10, 2010

      It's not every day a traveler casually looks out an airplane window and
      discovers the ruins of an unknown ancient civilization. "I said, 'Wow,
      what am I seeing?'" said Alceu Ranzi, a geographer and paleontologist
      with the Federal University in the Brazilian state of Acre. "This is not
      natural." What he saw that afternoon in 1999 was a giant, geometrically
      precise circle carved in the earth. Nearly invisible from the ground,
      the earthwork had only recently emerged when farmers cleared a tract of
      forest. The huge structures suggested the area may have been home to
      many more people than anyone previously believed. "It's something new
      that no one expected," Ranzi said. "No one expected that a discovery of
      this level still could have happened in that region." Ranzi recruited a
      team of archaeologists from Brazil and Finland and began searching for
      more of these earthworks, which he calls geoglyphs.

      http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/brazil/101109/amazon-ancient-society

      Earthen Mounds All that Remain of Ancient American Civilization
      Voice of America, 11 November 2010

      The Ancient civilizations of the Maya, Aztec and Inca flourished in
      Central and South America in the centuries before European colonists
      came to the region in the 15th and 16th Centuries. But further North, in
      what is now the United States, there were also large indigenous
      settlements. Cahokia, in the present state of Illinois, was the largest.
      At its peak, sometime around the 12th Century, Cahokia was home to
      nearly 20,000 people. Just a short drive east of Saint Louis, and across
      the Mississippi into Illinois, is America's first city. All that remains
      after centuries of desertion are the earthen hills that give Cahokia
      Mounds its name. Archaeologist Bill Isemenger says the mounds are the
      remains of temples and homes, purposefully built by the early culture
      scientists call "Mississippians." "To elevate your leaders and your
      important people and your religious beliefs higher than anybody else,"
      said Isemenger. "Perhaps separate the sacred from the common to some
      degree."

      http://tinyurl.com/24hol63
      <http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Earthen-Mounds-All-that-Remain-of-Ancient-American-Civilization-107271083.html>

      The Americas: The old New World
      The Guardian [UK], 9 November 2010

      Original civilisations developed in just a select handful of places
      across the globe. Two of these – the Andes and Mesoamerica – are
      found in the last continental landmass to be colonised by humanity. From
      the frozen reaches of Alaska and the Canadian Arctic, across the high
      grassland plains of North America, through the equatorial tropics and
      down the spine of the Andes to Patagonia at the uttermost end of the
      earth, the Americas boast an extraordinary range of landscapes and
      climates. Yet successive visitors have been as likely to dismiss
      America's native population as they have been to praise it. Writing some
      300 years after Cortés, Charles Darwin described the Yahgan canoe
      Indians of Tierra del Fuego as "the most miserable wretches on the face
      of the earth", living on the very lowest rung of human existence. He
      would not have been aware that for decades, passing whalers and seal
      hunters had decimated the colonies of marine mammals upon which the
      Yahgan depended, introducing contagious disease and alcohol along the
      way, with devastating consequences. These wildly divergent accounts have
      coloured the European imagination to such an extent that pre-Columbian
      peoples and cultures are still prone to be tagged as primitive and
      mysterious.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/nov/09/ancient-world-the-americas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
        Wow.. fascinating! I would be really interestedin what happens here now. What were these people like and where did they go? What happened? What is interesting to me is that Egypt and Greece and Rome are all still here. They have survived.. but in the Americas huge civilizations just disappeared. Allison
      • Elena Vaccaro
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
          Allison, the people did not disappear. The descendants of all the ancient American civilizations are usually known as Native Americans. When the Europeans first started interacting with the native populations, the diseases they were either immune to or had tolerance for were deadly to the Native American populations. The statistics of populations pre-contact are variable, but the known accounts of death among the tribes is gruesome.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

          Now, in Southern Ohio and parts of southern Indiana as well as around St. Louis MO there are large mounds and pyramids. These were apparent when the European settlers came in, and some of the mounds and pyramids have been  destroyed by being taken apart to see what was in them or by being used as farm land.

          The civilizations in the areas where there is prolific growth do get covered up. It is only recently that the archaeologist and anthropologists have had access to the de-classified satellite images to locate all of the Mayan, Aztec and Inca cultural centers. As late as the 1980's there were 'new' centers being found in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.

          They have even used the images to find ancient water courses and roads in the Sahara and if I remember correctly the Saudi deserts.

          So finding a civilization center deep in the Amazon is not really that out of line in a way.

          LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATH WE TAKE
          BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

          >^,,^<

          Elena

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010

            Lol, Elena.. what I meant is the covilization did disappear. The people migrated away or dwindled into simple villages but the big  cities you mention did go away. Same thing happened in England.. the tribes who built STonehenge and Avebury must have existed in big groups or at least got together in big groups at some point.. but then they dispersed. Their descendants are undoubtedly around  butnot living at the same level.. here is alink to one guy this happened to.....http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1549589/posts. He was known to be linked to "Cheddar Man"... Same thing happened to hte Anasazi.. the Navahos claim that the Anasazi were their ancestors but I dunno. I think they just said that to justify their moving in. They migrated from some other place and I suppose I can find a link for that too. Allison

            Allison, the people did not disappear. The descendants of all the ancient American civilizations are usually known as Native Americans. When the Europeans first started interacting with the native populations, the diseases they were either immune to or had tolerance for were deadly to the Native American populations. The statistics of populations pre-contact are variable, but the known accounts of death among the tribes is gruesome.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

            Now, in Southern Ohio and parts of southern Indiana as well as around St. Louis MO there are large mounds and pyramids. These were apparent when the European settlers came in, and some of the mounds and pyramids have been  destroyed by being taken apart to see what was in them or by being used as farm land.

            The civilizations in the areas where there is prolific growth do get covered up. It is only recently that the archaeologist and anthropologists have had access to the de-classified satellite images to locate all of the Mayan, Aztec and Inca cultural centers. As late as the 1980's there were 'new' centers being found in the Yucatan peninsula of Mexico.

            They have even used the images to find ancient water courses and roads in the Sahara and if I remember correctly the Saudi deserts.

            So finding a civilization center deep in the Amazon is not really that out of line in a way.

            LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATH WE TAKE
            BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

            >^,,^<

            Elena