[History Lessons] The Man of the Revolution

  • robert-blau@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2010
      From: bruce@...(Bruce Kauffmann) Date: Fri, Oct 1,
      2010, 6:05am

      The Man of the Revolution

      The most important American during the Revolutionary War was?  George
      Washington. (A no-brainer).

      The most important American in the post-revolutionary period was?
      James Madison, who, more than any other Founder, created our
      Constitution and Bill of Rights, and therefore our government.

      The most important American once that government was in place was?
      Alexander Hamilton, our first treasury secretary, who created the
      financial system under which we still operate.

      So who was the most important American leading up to the Revolutionary
      War?  In other words, who was the first most important American?  I
      vote for Sam Adams, who was born this week (Sept. 27) in 1722.   In
      the years prior to 1776, this native son of Boston was the indispensable
      man in our decision to break from the Mother Country.

      He was an unlikely hero, having failed at almost every career he had
      tried, including the family business, a brewery, which went bust not
      long after he joined it.  But his fortunes turned in the 1760s when he
      turned to politics as the British began taxing the American colonists in
      ways that the colonists believed violated their rights.

      The Sugar Act, the Stamp Act and the Townshend Acts all imposed various
      forms of taxation on the colonists, so Adams became increasingly active
      in colonial resistance. Adams wrote fiery, well-read articles of
      defiance in the Boston newspapers ? he was among the first to call for
      outright independence ? as well as letters to leaders in other colonies
      urging coordinated resistance.  That led to colony-wide Committees of
      Correspondence, arguably the most important step toward unified and
      widespread protest against British rule.

      Some have called Adams our first terrorist. He helped create the Sons of
      Liberty, whose tactics included bullying both British merchants and the
      colonists who traded with them.  Adams had a hand in the
      demonstrations that led to the Boston Massacre and helped organize the
      Boston Tea Party, which dumped thousands of pounds of British tea into
      Boston Harbor.  Adams was so hated by the British that when, in 1775,
      Parliament offered to pardon all colonists identified as rebels, Adams
      and John Hancock were the two exceptions.

      But he also dabbled in formal politics. He was a delegate to the First
      Continental Congress, which?thanks to Adams?called for a boycott of all
      British goods, and he attended the Second Continental Congress, signing
      the Declaration of Independence.

      Yes, Adams? star faded once the British were defeated and America turned
      its attention to nation building, and today he is mostly known for the
      smooth Boston lager that bears his name.  Which is a shame because the
      contributions to America of ?The Man of the Revolution? ? as Jefferson
      called him ? are anything but small beer.

      © Kauffmann 2010

      * Your friends can easily subscribe to Bruce's History Lessons--via the
      form at the bottom right of <http://www.historylessons.net>.
      * Help Bruce. Recommend the History Lessons column to your local
      newspaper.
      For tips, click on the "Ask your local newspaper" link at
      <http://www.historylessons.net>.
      It's at the bottom left of the home page.