71st anniversary

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hello Group,

      Today marks the 71st anniversary of the start of WW II.  It may be the start of WW II in Europe with some authorities marking the start of WW II in the Orient with the Marco Polo Bridge incident (1937) or maybe the Mukden incident (1931-32).  For sure appeasement as hoped for by the Umbrella Man didn't work with concessions at Munich (1938) leading to aggression against Czechoslovakia and ultimately the invasion of Poland.  I cannot say that much of the leadership of Western Europe today and even here have learned anything from all that.

      Some years back, an authority on English history- Christopher Hollis*- had a lecture in Chicago which I attended.  I asked him if Neville Chamberlain actually thought appeasement would work at Munich or if he might have bought time to prepare for war.  Hollis said Chamberlain probably hoped it would work but authorized some preparations in case it didn't.

      *he entered Parliament after the war but knew several figures who were prominent during the war.