Re: [allthingshistory] 65th anniversary of the end of WW II in Europe

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9 12:43 PM
      Hello Andrew,
        Sometimes you speak in riddles. who is foggy bottom? Also I would love to know more about the French presence in Vietnam and how that impacted their civil war. Did you see that documentary about McNamara who was President Kennedy's ... umm Secreatry of Staet or War, I forget. He said the Vietnam war was a civil war and he didnt' know why we got involved. Allison

      From: Andrew Jackson <dradjackson@...>
      Subject: [allthingshistory] 65th anniversary of the end of WW II in Europe
      To: "ccpga group" <ccpga@yahoogroups.com>, "American Freedoms" <americanfreedoms-owner@yahoogroups.com>, "wise people" <wisepeople@yahoogroups.com>, allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, May 8, 2010, 10:55 PM

      Hello Group,

      Today marks the 65th anniversary of Germany's surrender and the end of WW II in Europe.  It's difficult to imagine the passage of that much time, kind of like somebody alive on that day thinking back to a year before Pat Garrett terminated William the Child ((Billy the Kid)), it's that long ago.  The war against Japan would end officially in early September but really ended after two nukes were dropped in August.  Former enemies would become our allies, and George Kennan finally woke up Foggy Bottom and the Presidential Palace informing them Stalin wasn't really our friend- Long Telegram 1946.

      Today also marks the start of the Geneva peace talks which ominously opened the day after the fall of Dien Bien Phu.  As to the conduct of the French-Viet Minh War, France had several disadvantages which I won't go into absent an inquiry.