Mayor orders crackdown on prostitution as Pompeii slips back

  • robert-blau@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
      I hate when that happens . . .

      Mayor orders crackdown on prostitution as Pompeii slips back into old
      habits
      The Times [UK], March 25, 2010

      Once it was famous for its brothels, signposted with erotic frescoes and
      plaques tempting passers-by with phrases such as "Hic habitat felicitas"
      (Here happiness resides) or "Sum tua aere" (I am yours for money).
      Today, according to church and civic authorities, Pompeii is again
      plagued by prostitution "as rife in our streets as it was 2,000 years
      ago". Monsignor Carlo Liberati, Archbishop of the Sanctuary of the
      Blessed Virgin of the Rosary at Pompeii, said that the area around the
      ancient ruins and the modern town had been overrun by foreign and
      Italian prostitutes. "We are at the mercy of a degeneration which knows
      no limits," he said. [I hate when that happens.] Police said that the
      most "infested" areas were near the Villa dei Misteri and the tree-lined
      Via Plinio on the edge of the archaeological site, which is visited by
      millions of tourists.

      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7074850.ece
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
        Hi, Robert, The url you provided is separated ..the problem is the word  l ine.. which I guess prevents it from linking. I had to fix the word first adn then send it to myself. And then hit the link. this is a very intriguing post..lol. Guess the ladies of the evening want to take advantage of the tourist trade..Allison

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
          Uh well .. it didn't work. Too bad.. this looks interesting. Allison

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
            I hate when that happens. Actually, all you have to do is cut and paste
            into the address bar (which worked just fine when I just tried it) -- no
            need to send it to yourself. However, here's a tinyurl:

            http://tinyurl.com/yboesru

            Posted by: "Allison Loukanis" allison.m.loukanis@...
            allison.m.loukanis@...
            Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am (PDT)

            From: robert-blau@ webtv.net <robert-blau@ webtv.net>
            Subject: [allthingshistory] Mayor orders crackdown on prostitution as
            Pompeii slips back
            Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 12:50 PM

            I hate when that happens . . .

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2010
              The more things change the more they don't....