Re: [allthingshistory] WWII production

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      So true, but unfortunately soon thereafter those factories began pumping out consumer goods which would do to our civilization and its culture what it did to the Axis Powers.

      On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:19 AM, <robert-blau@...> wrote:

      A correspondent writes:

      "In 1942, the United States, alone as a county, began producing an
      amount of war materials that would soon equal the total materials put
      out by Japan, Germany & Italy combined.  In 1943, she surpassed all of
      the Axis materials being manfactured.  America, alone.

      Literally overnight, we became the world's largest manufacturer of
      shipbuilding.  In 3 years,we turned out this:
      * 296,601 planes
      * 87,000 tanks
      * 2,434,553 trucks
      * 17,400,000 rifles.

      Our American farmers had millions of tons of beef, chicken, potatoes,
      dairy products, grains & other foodstuffs sent to Great Britain, the
      Soviet Union, & other countries fighting the Axis powers,
      It caused historian Louis L. Snyder to comment, "The Axis was literally
      engulfed under a sea of American war production".

      God bless America, gentlemen.
           -Andy P."