Re: [allthingshistory] 1950s prankster baited scientists with his homemade 'artifacts'

  • Lin Kerns
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
      I'm all for practical jokes, but this is not a prank--it's mean, conniving, lying, deceitful, and criminal. I'd like to take a boot to his... well, you get it.

      Lin

      On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM, <robert-blau@...> wrote:

      I hate when that happens . . .

      1950s prankster baited scientists with his homemade 'artifacts'
      The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009

      Jack Daniel Stirling, somewhere, somehow, is smirking. Stirling, a World
      War II veteran who died in 1965, had the deft hands of an artist, the
      imagination of a novelist and the boldness of a con man. Picasso would
      nod in acknowledgement of a kindred spirit, Mark Twain would snicker and
      slap him on the back. Back in the 1950s, Stirling began salting the
      rugged country of the Uncompahgre Uplift with caches of faux
      archaeological treasures. Pots made from native clay, a tablet with
      strange markings, arrowheads and eccentrics made from flints, chert and
      obsidian, a war club, more pots, and so on. He placed literally hundreds
      of pieces in the area of Cactus Park in hopes of getting one up on Al
      Look, an accomplished amateur archaeologist and paleontologist who wrote
      for The Daily Sentinel.

      http://snipr.com/s018f

      --
      (Gars O'Higgins Station penguins)
      http://wiinterrr.blogspot.com/
      >^,,^<
    • John D. Beatty
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
        Criminal....how?  What crime is committed here?  Who is harmed?  You?  How, exactly?

        A local prankster wanted to show up a local windbag.  So what?

        And since the poor sod's dead, what's your point?  What would your violence prove?

        ___________________________
        John D. Beatty
        Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
        "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"

        The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009

        Jack Daniel Stirling, somewhere, somehow, is smirking. Stirling, a World
        War II veteran who died in 1965, had the deft hands of an artist, the
        imagination of a novelist and the boldness of a con man. Picasso would
        nod in acknowledgement of a kindred spirit, Mark Twain would snicker and
        slap him on the back. Back in the 1950s, Stirling began salting the
        rugged country of the Uncompahgre Uplift with caches of faux
        archaeological treasures. Pots made from native clay, a tablet with
        strange markings, arrowheads and eccentrics made from flints, chert and
        obsidian, a war club, more pots, and so on. He placed literally hundreds
        of pieces in the area of Cactus Park in hopes of getting one up on Al
        Look, an accomplished amateur archaeologist and paleontologist who wrote
        for The Daily Sentinel.

        http://snipr.com/s018f

        --
        (Gars O'Higgins Station penguins)
        http://wiinterrr.blogspot.com/
        http://penguinnewstoday.blogspot.com/
        http://penguinology.blogspot.com/
        (Jackson, TN wx blog)
        http://wiinterrrswx.blogspot.com/
        >^,,^<

      • Lin Kerns

          The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009

          Jack Daniel Stirling, somewhere, somehow, is smirking. Stirling, a World
          War II veteran who died in 1965, had the deft hands of an artist, the
          imagination of a novelist and the boldness of a con man. Picasso would
          nod in acknowledgement of a kindred spirit, Mark Twain would snicker and
          slap him on the back. Back in the 1950s, Stirling began salting the
          rugged country of the Uncompahgre Uplift with caches of faux
          archaeological treasures. Pots made from native clay, a tablet with
          strange markings, arrowheads and eccentrics made from flints, chert and
          obsidian, a war club, more pots, and so on. He placed literally hundreds
          of pieces in the area of Cactus Park in hopes of getting one up on Al
          Look, an accomplished amateur archaeologist and paleontologist who wrote
          for The Daily Sentinel.

          http://snipr.com/s018f

          --
          (Gars O'Higgins Station penguins)
          http://wiinterrr.blogspot.com/
          http://penguinnewstoday.blogspot.com/
          http://penguinology.blogspot.com/
          (Jackson, TN wx blog)
          http://wiinterrrswx.blogspot.com/
          >^,,^<
        • John D. Beatty
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
            Since you choose not to respond to my question other than to indulge in an ad hominem attack on what you perceive as my lack of "sensibilities of normal folk" because I recognize that history is an amusement for 99.99 percent of all people (unless you are a professional historian), I'm not certain that continuing this discussion is worth anyone's time. No reputations, lives, collections or anything else were harmed or even affected by this hoax.

            Seek anger management counseling.

            ___________________________

            The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009

            Jack Daniel Stirling, somewhere, somehow, is smirking. Stirling, a World
            War II veteran who died in 1965, had the deft hands of an artist, the
            imagination of a novelist and the boldness of a con man. Picasso would
            nod in acknowledgement of a kindred spirit, Mark Twain would snicker and
            slap him on the back. Back in the 1950s, Stirling began salting the
            rugged country of the Uncompahgre Uplift with caches of faux
            archaeological treasures. Pots made from native clay, a tablet with
            strange markings, arrowheads and eccentrics made from flints, chert and
            obsidian, a war club, more pots, and so on. He placed literally hundreds
            of pieces in the area of Cactus Park in hopes of getting one up on Al
            Look, an accomplished amateur archaeologist and paleontologist who wrote
            for The Daily Sentinel.

            http://snipr.com/s018f

            --
            (Gars O'Higgins Station penguins)
            http://wiinterrr.blogspot.com/
            http://penguinnewstoday.blogspot.com/
            http://penguinology.blogspot.com/
            (Jackson, TN wx blog)
            http://wiinterrrswx.blogspot.com/
            >^,,^<

          • Lin Kerns

              The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
                Hello Mr. Beatty,
                  This guy's pranks while technically harmless muddied the waters of a profession that is already riddled with unprovenanced artifacts. He is just adding to the confusion. However, you have every right to like him if you like. In fact he sounds like he is right down your alley. Allison

                ____________ _________ ______
                John D. Beatty
                Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
                "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"

                I'm all for practical jokes, but this is not a prank--it's mean, conniving, lying, deceitful, and criminal. I'd like to take a boot to his... well, you get it.

                Lin

                On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:29 PM, <robert-blau@ webtv.net> wrote:

                I hate when that happens . . .

                1950s prankster baited scientists with his homemade 'artifacts'
                The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009

                Jack Daniel Stirling, somewhere, somehow, is smirking. Stirling, a World
                War II veteran who died in 1965, had the deft hands of an artist, the
                imagination of a novelist and the boldness of a con man. Picasso would
                nod in acknowledgement of a kindred spirit, Mark Twain would snicker and
                slap him on the back. Back in the 1950s, Stirling began salting the
                rugged country of the Uncompahgre Uplift with caches of faux
                archaeological treasures. Pots made from native clay, a tablet with
                strange markings, arrowheads and eccentrics made from flints, chert and
                obsidian, a war club, more pots, and so on. He placed literally hundreds
                of pieces in the area of Cactus Park in hopes of getting one up on Al
                Look, an accomplished amateur archaeologist and paleontologist who wrote
                for The Daily Sentinel.

                http://snipr. com/s018f

                --
                (Gars O'Higgins Station penguins)
                http://wiinterrr. blogspot. com/
                http://penguinnewst oday.blogspot. com/
                http://penguinology .blogspot. com/
                (Jackson, TN wx blog)
                http://wiinterrrswx .blogspot. com/
                >^,,^<

              • John D. Beatty
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
                  It would be nice if this group actually talked about history some time as opposed to taking potshots at each other's character, especially when someone questions why violence is treatened when none was first offered.  Ad hominem attacks such as yours do nothing other than confirm ignorance, incapacity and unwillingness to discuss how history actually works and how evidence is evaluated, as opposed to how you seem to want it to work and your simple and asinine declaration that somehow I might be personally in favor of the fraud, a position I never took.  I couldn't care less about the scammer because it dosen't affect me or the history profession in general.

                  This prankster's artifacts were never taken seriously by serious historians.  Your outrage and continued attacks on my supposed position is just a waste of bandwidth.

                  Get over yourself.

                  The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel [USA], September 19, 2009