Two different Florida boys find ancient spear points

  • robert-blau@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      A gift from 5,000 years ago
      St. Petersburg Times [USA], August 12, 2009

      A striking find by an 8-year-old boy proves this city was an active
      hunting ground after the last ice age. When a public works crew was
      replacing a storm sewer line on Joyce Street and First Avenue N last
      month, Jordan Emmett, a budding archaeologist, went to have a look. "I
      saw a red thing sticking up and I brought it home," he said. At first,
      his grandfather, Mike Emmett, said he thought it was a piece of plastic.
      But the red thing turned out to be a roughly 5,000-year-old spear point
      made by the semi-nomadic middle archaic people before the Egyptians
      began building pyramids. The well-preserved tool was formed out of
      reddish agatized coral that turned into flint 450 million years ago.
      It's a little over 2 inches long and weighs about 0.6 ounces.

      http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1026848.ece

      Also:

      9-year-old from New Port Richey finds rare 6,000-year-old spear point on
      nature walk
      St. Petersburg Times [USA], August 10,

      2009 It was the last day of summer camp, July 31, and 9-year-old Alec
      Burchick hiked down the Blue Bird Trail at Jay B. Starkey Wilderness
      Park. Alec and other youngsters were on the lookout for things like
      spiders and snakes, animal tracks and gopher tortoises. "Something
      caught my eye in a patch of rocks," he said. "It was different from the
      others, so I picked it up." Alec knew he held something unusual, but
      little did he suspect it was a 6,000-year-old artifact.

      http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1026122.ece