Re: [allthingshistory] health care

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4 3:00 PM
      ....like I said, the first thing we do...kill all the lawyers.

      On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM, John D. Beatty <jdbeatty@...> wrote:

      Two years ago we all knew it would happen as soon as Obama announced that he would run.  The media hopped on that bandwagon as soon as they saw it.

      Not pessimistic, realistic.  Tort reform in the US is not possible without breaking the monopoly power of the legal profession, any more than realistic tax code reform will happen, and for the same reasons.  Neither the lawyers nor the taxing authorities will permit encroachment on their income or their power.  Neither you nor I have any say in the matter whatsoever.

      How would you even approach it?  Write strongly-worded letters to the editor?  Tell your lawyer/legislator that you've had it up to here, and you want his lawyer/legislator friends to cut into their future income?  Find a candidate to run for office that a political party full of lawyers will back who will eschew their future by eliminating their most lucrative future?  Or are you gong to, at a stroke, eliminate all lawyers from the legislature by waving a magic ballot?

      Go ahead, try it.  See what happens.  Convince yourself that, as a taxpayer, your voice WILL be heard.

      We'll wait.

      You can tilt at that windmill all you like and imagine that you can change the tort system.  It comes up every couple of years and is always dropped rather rapidly under pressure from the bar association lobbies.

      Tort law in the US cannot be regulated or controlled without breaking the monopoly power of the legal profession, and that will not happen without a real revolution, a constitutional convention where no lawyers will be permitted, or an act of God.  As long as that is true the cost of health care will be burdened with the cost of attached litigation.

      John D. Beatty
      Co-Author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/Lulu
      "History is our only test for the consequences of ideas"