Re: [allthingshistory] Re: Trivia 20 feb (2)

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2007
      Hello,

      I didn't know that.  Captain Bainbridge, interestingly, hit an uncharted rock twice but got forgiveness and another chance since the rocks were uncharted.  The Navy's confidence was verified as in the War of 1812 his boat engaged in cannon fire and then his crew boarded and captured a Limey ((being one I can call them that)) frigate.  I forgot about the guy, thanks for refreshing my memory.

      Andrew

      Tristan <nitsirtthecommie@...> wrote:
      --- In allthingshistory@ yahoogroups. com, "Tristan"
      <nitsirtthecommie@ ...> wrote:

      > What was the first US Naval ship to cross the equator and when?

      No takers on this one? Alright, on Feb 7, 1800, the USS Essex became
      the first US Naval ship to cross the equator.

      (This excerpt is from wikipedia)
      The first USS Essex of the United States Navy was a sailing frigate
      that participated in the Quasi-War with France, the Barbary Wars,
      and in the War of 1812, during which she was captured by the British
      (1814).

      The frigate was launched 30 September 1799 by Enos Briggs, Salem,
      Massachusetts, at cost of $139,362 subscribed by the people of Salem
      and Essex County. On 17 December 1799 she was presented to the
      United States and accepted by Captain Edward Preble.

      With the United States involved in naval action against France on 6
      January 1800, Essex, under Captain Preble, departed New York in
      company with Congress to rendezvous with and convoy merchant ships
      returning from Batavia, Dutch East Indies. Shortly after
      commencement of her journey, Essex became the first U. S. Naval Ship
      to cross the Equator. Congress was dismasted only a few days out,
      and Essex was obliged to continue her voyage alone, making her mark
      as the first U.S. man-of-war to double the Cape of Good Hope, both
      in March and in August 1800 prior to successfully completing her
      convoy mission in November.

      Captain William Bainbridge commanded Essex on her second cruise,
      whereon she sailed to the Mediterranean with the squadron of
      Commodore Richard Dale. Dispatched to protect American trade and
      seamen against depredations by the Barbary Pirates, the squadron
      arrived at Gibraltar on 1 July 1801 and spent the ensuing year
      convoying American merchantmen and blockading Tripolitan ships in
      their ports. Following repairs at the Washington Navy Yard in 1802,
      Essex resumed her duties in the Mediterranean under Captain James
      Barron in August 1804. She participated in the successful attack on
      the town of Derne on 27 April 1805 and remained in those waters
      until the conclusion of peace terms in 1806.

      Returning to the Washington Navy Yard in July, she was placed in
      ordinary until February 1809 when she was recommissioned for
      sporadic use in patrolling American waters and a single cruise to
      Europe.

      Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
      in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2007