Cutbacks at Fort Morris (GA)

  • Tristan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2007
      With the volume of outrage from residents and advocates growing,
      Liberty County's leaders under the Gold Dome have weighed in about
      cutbacks at Fort Morris Historic Site.
      The Georgia Department of Natural Resources, citing a temporary
      personnel shortage and lack of visitors, reduced operating days at
      the Revolutionary War site from five-and-a-half days a week to three
      earlier this month.
      One lawmaker said the decrease in operating hours could be the first
      sign of history repeating itself.
      "My big temper and fear is, history teaches that cutbacks are the
      step right before closure," Rep. Al Williams (D-Midway) said in a
      recent meeting with members of Leadership Liberty and county
      commissioners Pat Bowen and Eddie Walden. "They very seldom stop at
      But Sen. Eric Johnson (R-Savannah) said DNR commissioner Noel
      Holcomb assured him "in writing ... they are not getting ready to
      Johnson noted the state's fiscal year 2008 budget provides funding
      for new employees to assist with the agency's personnel problems.
      "The Department of Natural Resources is 100 employees short of where
      they need to manage all of their historic parks and properties," he
      said. "There are 33 new positions in this new budget that will help
      staff them up."
      According to the FY 2008 budget, the additional staff will cost an
      estimated $990,000 to "expand operating hours and enhance customer
      service in state parks."
      But the budget does not explain where and how these new workers will
      be dispersed throughout Georgia's 48 state parks and 18 historic
      Employee shortage aside, Fort Morris also suffers from a lack of
      visitation, at least when compared to surrounding sites such as Fort
      King George and Fort McAllister.
      In 2006, Fort Morris received 13,577 visitors, while Fort McAllister
      alone has averaged 12,000 visitors per month.
      Williams said the problem stems from insufficient marketing of the
      site's history and heritage.
      "The thing is, when you look at it, do we maximize from a state
      standpoint the advertising of Fort Morris? Do we really sell it? I
      don't think so," he said. "In tourism, if it's a secret, it can't be
      utilized. You've got to tell it."
      Liberty County Tourism Director Sandy White agreed the state should
      take a more active role in promoting Fort Morris.
      "It's a state site," she said. "If visitation is the prerequisite
      for that site staying open or not, then the state should be the one
      that's marketing the site to keep it open."
      She also said it will ultimately be the community's support, or lack
      thereof, that will decide the fate of Fort Morris.
      "My fear is that if the community does not stay on the state's back
      about this, one day that site will just close," White said. "If it
      comes to a point where there's a major budget cut, they'll
      say `Well, nobody's giving us a real hard time about this so we'll
      just go ahead and close it.'
      "If we allow the state to just slowly and quietly close these kinds
      of places, then that history's lost forever. You can't tell me that
      if Fort Morris ever became available for private use ... it wouldn't
      become condos in a year."