18,000 war victims exhumed in Bosnia in last 10 years
- 18,000 victims exhumed in Bosnia in last 10 years
3 February 2007 | 11:55 | Source: DPA
SARAJEVO -- The remains of more than 18,000 people were exhumed in
Bosnia in the last 10 years.
Head of the Commission on Missing Persons of Bosnia's Muslim-Croat
Federation Amor Maoviæ told the newspaper that 14,000 out of the
total had been identified.
However, he said that at least 12,000 victims of the 1992-1995 war
in Bosnia-Herzegovina still remained unaccounted for.
During 2006, Maoviæ said, the Commission conducted exhumations in
43 municipalities across the country, including 22 mass graves, 13
graves with two or three bodies and 168 individual graves with a
total of 2,251 bodies.
The commission, he said, last year completed excavation of the
largest mass grave discovered in Bosnia after the war.
A total of 1,153 bodies were exhumed from the Kamenica mass grave
near the eastern Bosnian Serb town of Zvornik.
The victims were Bosnian Muslims from the former eastern Bosnian
Muslim enclave of Srebrenica, where Bosnian Serb troops massacred up
to 8,000 men after capturing the area on July 11, 1995, during the
country's 1992-1995 war.
In 2007, according to Maoviæ, the commission would continue work at
15 new locations, believed to be mass graves, most of which have
been located in eastern Bosnia, along the Drina River.