Re: Discussing History

  • Ember Leanne
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
      I am a teacher education student and am taking a History class on WW2.
      Do you know of any good references for WW1 and 2? Websites and/or
      books I can use.
      Leanne
    • Ember Leanne
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
          Hello Leanne,
               Depending on what you want  there's many good books on the subject of World War One and Two. Some of the better authors are Rick Atkins's "An Army at Dawn." Any book by Martin Blumenson, Good book on WWI is "Silent Night," by Stanley Weintraub, A. J. P Taylor's "A History of the First World War."  Another good  one for WWI is "The Price of Glory; Verdun, 1916," By Alistar Horne. Another one "The Doughboys," by Gary Mead. Any book by William Manchester, particulary his autobiography on his service in WWII.  There are countless others, Leanne; just ask me, I have many books on the subject of both World Wars.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        david a sigler

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
            Hello Leanne,

            It all depends on what part of it you're intereted in and how deep you want to get into it.  Some modern European history survey texts would have material on it, there's Life's Picture History of WW II, Hajo Holborn's History of Germany Vol. III, back issues of Military History magazine, and the like. You might want to check with your local or university library to find out what interests you.

            In more detail are multi volume books like Churchill's The Gathering Storm and Admiral Samuel Eliot Morrison's History of the U S Navy in WW II ((condensed into one volume as The Two Ocean Navy)). On the Manhattan Project ((atomic bomb)) there's Gen. Leslie Groves' Now It Can Be Told and the much better book by Rhodes on the history of the atomic bomb.  The children's section of some libraries used to have picture books on WW II aircraft and boats. Books by and about certain key generals and admirals may help as well.  For Pearl Harbor perhaps the definitive book would be At Dawn We Slept begun by Dr. Gordon W. Prange and finished by a WAC and another woman student.  I think all of these are out of print. The bibliography in your textbook may help, but who checks bibliographies?  I hope I have been of some help.

            Andrew

            Ember Leanne <emberleanne@...> wrote:
            I am a teacher education student and am taking a History class on WW2.
            Do you know of any good references for WW1 and 2? Websites and/or
            books I can use.
            Leanne

          • nitsirt
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2006
              A good source would be a group that myself and probably several others on this list is on. A lot of people on there know a lot about all the areas of WW2.

              Ember Leanne <emberleanne@...> wrote:
              I am a teacher education student and am taking a History class on WW2.
              Do you know of any good references for WW1 and 2? Websites and/or
              books I can use.
              Leanne

              "Next time you think no one cares, go to Gethsemane."