Rommel vs. Montgomery

  • andrej1234au
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4 5:53 PM
      Greetings

      > Who was the better leader in the battle for North Africa in WWII?
      >
      > Did Montgomery have advantage in equipment and people or Romel did
      > some mistakes, which cost him the battle?

      A good topic for this list.

      The fact of the matter is that Montgomery won because he had British
      maps, whereas the Germans had Italian maps.

      aj
    • kimnoyes@charter.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 1:15 AM
        Rommel accomplished more with less.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5 10:34 AM
          Hello,

          Rommel did accomplish more with less.  Also, before WW II he was one of few panzer experts who saw them as operating independently in regimental units or above and being more than supporting self-propelled artillery.  Thse experts were initially De Gaulle, Rommel, Guderian, and J F C Fuller.  Patton would be added later.  By El Alamein, Monty had a vast superiority in men, panzers, artillery, supplies, and tactical air.  Also, Admiral Cunningham got naval superiority in the Mediterranean, and the Italian navy could not support Rommel effectively. Arnheim (1944) would be a conspicuous failure.  One thing I like Montgomery for is in a documentary for the 25th anniversary of El Alamein, Monty said, "Tut, tut.  It doesn't matter how you press your pants.  All that matters is whether or not you win the battle."  This was heresy to a good many beggars and martinets who insisted on haircuts and shoeshines as inculcating the finest military qualities.

          Andrew

          ---- andrej1234au <andrej1234au@ yahoo.com. au> wrote:
          > Greetings
          >
          > > Who was the better leader in the battle for North Africa in WWII?
          > >
          > > Did Montgomery have advantage in equipment and people or Romel did
          > > some mistakes, which cost him the battle?
          >
          > A good topic for this list.
          >
          > The fact of the matter is that Montgomery won because he had British
          > maps, whereas the Germans had Italian maps.
          >
          > aj

        • DJ
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5 5:07 PM
            Montgomery had an overly large amount of material and personal. The
            fact that Rommel was able to keep the Afrika Korps intact at all on
            the long retreat from Egypt to Tunisa shows that Monty lacked the one
            thing that makes battlefield commanders great. The ability to go for
            the juglar with speed and determination. Any time Rommel turned and
            looked like he was ready to fight Monty paused to bring up massive
            amounts of supply. He was the master of the set piece battle and never
            really broke the mold. Patton would have strangled him if he had been
            in command of Monty. Not a doubt in my mind on that score.
            Thanks
            DJ