Re: [allthingshistory] Re: What is the most memboriable event that took place in your lifetime?

  • kimnoyes@charter.net
    Message 1 of 130 , Jun 13, 2006
      I have a Libertarian bent myself, but not the Howard Sternian Cro-Magnun Man variety.
      However, that party is screwed up in it's own unique way.
      They believe too many whacky things like opposition to the Federal Court System and lacking actual real candidates for President everytime around to a worse degree than the two main parties.

      Message 130 of 130 , Aug 6, 2006
        Hello,

        I understand very well the purpose of the Army.  If the Presidential Palace or Foggy Bottom ((State Dept.)) wants peacekeepers, maybe Foggy Bottom or presidential advisors ((replacements for court jesters)) should be issued tin stars and blackjacks and go out and keep the peace. That is not a job for the regular Army and most certainly not that of elite units.

        Andrew

        DJ <pommefritte2001@...> wrote:
        Here is the problem with that. You spend billions of dollars to hone
        the edge on your military. And our training is some of the best in the
        world short of actual combat. Maintaining the Status Que isn't what
        you train the army for. Their mission is to rapidly overwhelm an
        opponent and deliever victory on the battlefield. It isn't a case of
        changing uniform to go from combat professionals to peacekeepers. By
        and large the army is the wrong tool for the job. I think our army is
        pretty much second to none. (at least in an overall context) but
        asking Infantry ground pounders to function as Peace Keepers is just a
        bad idea. MPs and Intel types probably a better call, but there is a
        tad to few of them to be doing this.
        Thanks
        DJ

        --- In allthingshistory@ yahoogroups. com, "andrej1234au"