Re: [allthingshistory] Re: What's our first topic?

  • jimmy thomason
    Message 1 of 41 , May 3, 2006
      Have you read "Fix Bayonets" written and illustrated by Col.John W.Thomason?  He was a U.S.Marine Corps captain during the Great War and a veteran of Belleau Wood. Jimmy

      Nathan <full_metal_jacket1974@...> wrote:
      What is the name of that book? The only thing I have read about the
      first world war was Sassons book about infantry. I guess I will have
      to look at amazon and find it.

      FMJ

      --- In allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Frantz
      <frantz90@...> wrote:

      > I'd enjoy that.  I know so little about it, so I could learn
      something.  I read Jeff Sharra's recent novel on World War I just to
      get more familiar with the period and loved it.
      >   Jeff
      >

      > Mandeep Singh Bajwa <mandeep_bajwa@...> wrote:
      >     Maybe we could discuss European History at the beginning of
      the 20th Century and the events leading up to the First World War.

      >   Mandeep Bajwa,
      >   Chandigarh,
      >   India
      >
      > frantz90 <frantz90@...> wrote:
      >   This sounds like a creative, interesting approach to historical
      > conversation.  So what's our first topic?  I heard about this
      group
      > through another group focused on the American Civil War, which is
      my
      > favorite period of history.  But I also have a fascination with
      other
      > subjects -- medieval history, Revolutionary War, World Wars I &
      II,
      > the ancient Middle East, etc.  I just finished a biography of Ben
      > Franklin and started one on John Adams -- two fascinating
      > personalities out of US history.  So where do we go from here?

      Service.

      and save big.

      "History is not the relation of campaigns and battles and generals or other individuals but that which shows the principles for which the South contended and which justified her struggle for those principles" Gen. Robert E. Lee

    • DJ
      Message 41 of 41 , May 10, 2006
        Thanks, it is a nice bit of poetry.
        DJ