Vikings preferred male grooming to pillaging

  • robert-blau@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 4, 2008
      I find this a little hard to swallow. Next you'll be telling me they
      liked to press flowers and hang out in gay bars. Monty Python's "The
      Lumberjack Song" comes to mind :) . . .

      Vikings preferred male grooming to pillaging
      The Telegraph [UK], 25 Oct 2008

      The Vikings are traditionally known for leaving destruction in their
      wake as they travelled around Europe raping, pillaging and plundering.
      But Cambridge University has launched a campaign to recast them as "new
      men" with an interest in grooming, fashion and poetry. Academics claim
      that the old stereotype is damaging, and want teenagers to be more
      appreciative of the Vikings' social and cultural impact on Britain. They
      say that the Norse explorers, far from being obsessed with fighting and
      drinking, were a largely-peaceful race who were even criticised for
      being too hygienic. The university's department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse
      and Celtic has published a guide revealing how much of the Vikings'
      history has been misrepresented. They did not, in fact, wear horned or
      winged helmets. And they appear to have been a vain race who were
      concerned about their appearance. "It seems that the Vikings may not
      have been as hairy and dirty as is commonly imagined," the guide says.

      http://snipr.com/4pbbi
      <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3256539/Vikings-preferred-male-grooming-to-pillaging.html>
    • Anne Murray
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
        All things History.

        I think today is a day we will not forget and will go down in History, Barak Obama the first black president of the USA.  I am proud to be alive today.

        Anne Murray
        UK

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
            Oh, it's the "kinder, gentler" past we're supposed to return to, denying the existence of violence before the founding of the Republican Party...welcome to history in the 21st century...

            _________________________________
            John D. Beatty, Milwaukee Wisconsin
            Co-author of "What Were They Thinking" from Merriam Press/LULU

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
              If you were 50% cauc. - 44% Native American & 6% Black -- would you
              call yourself black? I think you would proudly call yourself Native
              American ----- for the last time -- Obama IS NOT BLACK -- he is Arab,
              he is a Muslim infiltrator, not Christian, he's not even an American
              citizen, which will be uncovered in the future. America will now
              sadly go into it's greatest downward spiral as liberals finally get
              their full sway -- they will finally learn the true meaning of "you
              reap what you sow" because they have turned their back on God, the
              Bible and Judeo-Christian principles. Our nation is now under
              judgement without mercy as God now lifts His hand of protection.
              As it says in the Bible, "In the last days they shalll lose all
              common sense." "...proclaiming themselves wise they become fools".

              --- In allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, Anne Murray <oxen1937@...>

              allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com; selegue@...; robertstinsa@...;
              kennethdarwinn7@...

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                Oh now now.. look on the positive side. A lot of young people got out and voted. This may help to heal race relations in America. AT the bank this morning I talked to the cleaning lady who happened to be black. She was washing the windows and I asked her about how she felt about the election.. she said that when she was born in the fifties, her parents didn't even have the right to vote and she thought she would never live to see the day. These are positive things. Yes Obama is liberal, but he is an American and he is part black and has chosen thru his wife to ally himself with black families. He is not Muslim and he is a Christian. I know his dad was African and Muslim but Obama never really knew his dad. Have you seen his biography? He spent a one month
                period of time with his dad after his father left when he was two I might add. IF he was secretly Muslim then he sure has pulled the wool over the eyes of two colleges plus Harvard University.. plus his wife's family plus everyone he ever knew... I mean come on.
                  We in the US will be ok. I strongly believe that even though I did vote for MCCain. For one thing Obama has a real challenge now to prove that a black President can outdo all those white guys who had the job before so he  has to do a good job.  Allison

                wrote:

                > All things History.
                >
                > I think today is a day we will not forget and will go down in
                History, Barak Obama the first black president of the USA.  I am
                proud to be alive today.

                > Anne Murray
                > UK
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __
                > From: "robert-blau@ ..." <robert-blau@ ...>

              • Tiffani Baker
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Good grief! I believe the topic was on Vikings? Anyway, Amen! Allison....how is it that seemingly intelligent people believe such propaganda. I suppose he is the Anti-Christ as well? What an amazing country we live in. I am actually moved that Obama made it even though I too voted for McCain. It is a fascinating time in history and what adventures we must have before us.
                  As to the Vikings, I find it hard to swallow too that the Vikings were not as hard as we have been taught. They were farmers and craftsmen and lived in a harsh world. I do not think they would have been sissies. NO group of people during ancient times could have been. If the British want to soften the Viking story so their teenagers can better appreciate the history of the Vikings, so be it. Bless them anyway!
                  Tiffani

                  wrote:

                  > All things History.
                  >
                  > I think today is a day we will not forget and will go down in
                  History, Barak Obama the first black president of the USA.  I am
                  proud to be alive today.

                  > Anne Murray
                  > UK
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __
                  > From: "robert-blau@ ..." <robert-blau@ ...>

                • Herbert Snyder
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Barack Obama will do fine, providing he learns that it will take a long time to really help America.  It took us a long time to get into the mess that we are in now, and there is no quick and easy solution.  If he knows Patience, he will do well.

                       As for turning the Vikings into sissies, I doubt it.  Many  people who see see now as barbaric were quite cultured for their times.  Attila The Hun loved music, and Charlemagne highly respected Education.  Even though he was totally illiterate, he welcomed educated people into his realm.  Loving good grooming has little to do with Determination or Fierceness In Battle.  General Patton was fanatical about he and his men looking neat and clean.  Look what they did.........

                    wrote:

                    > All things History.
                    >
                    > I think today is a day we will not forget and will go down in
                    History, Barak Obama the first black president of the USA.  I am
                    proud to be alive today.

                    > Anne Murray
                    > UK
                    >

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __
                    > From: "robert-blau@ ..." <robert-blau@ ...>

                  • Lin Kerns
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Hmm... Vikings that bathe. Perhaps they didn't like the smell of things and took initiative. If England ever decides to tone down the Irish of the 14th and 15rh  centuries, they'll have their hands full.  Not only were the natives very restless, but they managed to betray just about everyone around them--for selfish purposes.  And my own ancestors, the Celts? Not a bunch of tree huggers, but still, they somehow disappeared quietly into the new communities of the constant stream of invaders. Let's face it... someday, someone will look back and considering the likes of Ted Bundy and Charles Manson, will say that our own civilization had savages, too.

                      And yes, Allison, I'm sending you a "huzzah!" for your comments. After living in a time where every government building in the state of Tennessee had white bathrooms separate from "colored," and seeing with my own eyes, the demoralization of a people who were actually taught unworthiness (the insipid, infamous sons of Ham curse), I am proud to see that we have a black American in the White House. And yes, he is black--phenotypically--no one calls me Scottish, even though I have a direct ancestral link to a clan in that country. I am as white as Wonder Bread and so that's what I put on apps and forms.

                      We've come a long way from the Lorainne Motel in Memphis and our journey continues, but there is one stab against prejudice taken today.

                      Lin

                      --

                      (Gars O'Higgins Station penguins)
                      http://wiinterrr.blogspot.com/

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                        Lol.. I am glad they practiced good hygene! Rewriting history just to make kids feel good about themselves is not something I approve of though. I think we have gone too far on building self esteem, My son was telling me about a student at Marquette U here in Milwaukee who tried to give a cell phone to the professor because the student's mom was upset about a quiz grade. Apparently it was hurting the student's self esteem because the grade he got was not appropriate, his mom felt, to all the work he was putting into it. And this kid lives in the dorm! How would she know? Go figure..Allison

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                          Tom,
                          Obama is partly black which in White American culture has ALWAYS been the same as being 100% Black (that's been a White rule, NOT a black rule).

                          What proof do you offer that he is a Muslim Infiltrator beyond knuckle-dragger conspiracy-theory chain emails?

                          What proof do you offer that he is not an American Citizen beyond more knuckle-dragger conspiracy-theory chain emails?

                          Each election cycle the losing side prophesies that the sky will fall with the other guys in charge so your claim rings hollow and smacks of the Little Boy Who Cried "Wolf".

                          The Republican Party is learning the true meaning of "you reap what you sow" not to mention Evangelicals who got duped by Dubya two consecutive election cycles into falsely believing he was a genuine Conservative.

                          Actually, given the racial healing going on right now I'd say we're being blessed by God with this and my fear now is some White Inbred will blow his head off during some down moment for the Secret Service.

                          How are we under any different or special or more judgement than any other nation right now?
                          We're all hurting economically but we were also doing so in the 30's so what was that judgement for?

                          You perfectly embody and personify the principle enunciated in "In the last days they shall lose all common sense." "...proclaiming themselves whise they become fools."

                          As a Christian (and NOT a Liberal one like Obama I might add) I declare you and you're ilk an embarrassment to our faith and effective "useful idiots" that turn people who might be predisposed to seek God away from Him by your ugliness and lack of reality. Do you think anybody on this list is going to ask you today for a reason for the hope that is within you?

                          I realize I'm being harsh but so were you in bringing your hateful bigotry and militancy into this peaceful group.

                          You judged in front of your peers and now you've been judged in front of your peers.

                          Kim Patrick Noyes
                          Eldest Grandson of the late Dr. J. Vernon McGee

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 5, 2008
                            Hallelujah! And God bless you Kim! On such an amazing day, it is good to reprimand the haters. We all need to pull together and love our neighbors so we can heal the nation and live up to our great name. I want to look back on this day in the future and say "I was there when America elected the first African American" and I look forward to the day when African American doesn't matter. Just human...
                            Tiffani

                            On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Tom <fbbimf@yahoo. com> wrote:

                            If you were 50% cauc. - 44% Native American & 6% Black -- would you
                            call yourself black? I think you would proudly call yourself Native
                            American ----- for the last time -- Obama IS NOT BLACK -- he is Arab,
                            he is a Muslim infiltrator, not Christian, he's not even an American
                            citizen, which will be uncovered in the future. America will now
                            sadly go into it's greatest downward spiral as liberals finally get
                            their full sway -- they will finally learn the true meaning of "you
                            reap what you sow" because they have turned their back on God, the
                            Bible and Judeo-Christian principles. Our nation is now under
                            judgement without mercy as God now lifts His hand of protection.
                            As it says in the Bible, "In the last days they shalll lose all
                            common sense." "...proclaiming themselves wise they become fools".

                            --
                            Check out http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/california disasters/
                            Check out my blog at http://eclecticarca nia.blogspot. com/

                          • John Beatty
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 6, 2008
                              If you believe REAL HARD, boys and girls, Tinkerbell will be ALL RIGHT....LOOK AT THAT!  Tinkerbell is ALL RIGHT!

                              _________________________________

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 6, 2008
                                >Obama is partly black which in White American culture has ALWAYS been
                                the same as being 100% Black (that's been a White rule, NOT a black rule).

                                If true then Andrew Jackson was our first African-American president, since his mother's mother was a "high yellow" black woman.

                                >The Republican Party
                                is learning the true meaning of "you reap what you sow" not to mention Evangelicals who got duped by Dubya two consecutive election cycles into falsely believing he was a genuine Conservative.

                                ...and yet you voted McCain who the liberals have been trotting out whenever they want to say "bipartisan?"  Speaking of false beliefs...

                                >You
                                perfectly embody and personify the principle enunciated in "In the last days they shall lose all common sense." "...proclaiming themselves whise they become fools."

                                And when you shut this thread down as "moderator" of a "history group," and you will after this message, YOU will perfectly embody and personify the term "arrogance of power."

                                >As a Christian (and NOT a Liberal one like Obama I might add) I
                                declare you and you're ilk an embarrassment to our faith and effective "useful idiots" that turn people who might be predisposed to seek God away from Him by your ugliness and lack of reality.

                                As a thinking and rational person I declare you and all of your ilk an embarrassment to the causes of reason.  See how much good that does me?

                                >You judged in front of your peers and now you've been judged in front of your peers.

                                Likewise.  What's it feel like?  What did you say earlier?  Oh yes..."reap what you sow."  Everyone can play this asinine game of insult trading.  Think of something else.

                                _________________________________

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 6, 2008
                                  OKAAYYY..what does that mean. I am sorry but your post was obscure to me. Did you see the new movie Tinkerbell? Are you excited about that? OR was this a bit of sarcasm here ? Allison

                                  If you believe REAL HARD, boys and girls, Tinkerbell will be ALL RIGHT....LOOK AT THAT!  Tinkerbell is ALL RIGHT!

                                  ____________ _________ _________ ___

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    "his mother's mother was a "high yellow" black woman."

                                     I have done quite a bit of reading on him and have never heard this...where is your documentation? Allison

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 6, 2008
                                      Sir,

                                      You are mean-spirited and full of hate and anger. Also, your sarcasm
                                      is lost on us because we refuse to sink that low. I feel sorry for you
                                      in that someone has hurt you so deeply that you have turned all that
                                      pain inward. Having been hurt and betrayed in the worst way possible
                                      by those nearest me, I know that the temptation was there to indulge
                                      myself in those feelings. However, I chose the high road and the rough
                                      path so that I could forgive those who caused me such horrid pain--and
                                      so I could live with peace in my heart again. It takes a lot of work,
                                      but I suggest that you do the same.

                                      Lin

                                      --- In allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, John Beatty

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 6, 2008
                                        John,
                                        Who pissed in your Wheaties?

                                        Don't nakedly challenge me to shut down this thread so that I feel compelled to do the opposite so that it will stay open for you to use this list as your bully pulpit. You're being too obvious.

                                        I do not feel effectively judged by you given the feebleness of your scatter shot remarks and how widely they missed.

                                        I'm smitten in my heart that I have offended your delicate sensitivities in the realm of reason.

                                        You're not a thinking and rational person if you believe Barack Obama is not black: how's that for you?

                                        You're also not a thinking and rational person if you are ignorant of the historical and cultural fact that part-blacks have always been treated as blacks in white society in this nation.
                                        Perhaps you are the only one who doesn' t know this.
                                        Andrew Jackson looked white and assuming your suggestion about his lineage even has historical merit, I bet it was not well-publicized for the very reason stated here.

                                        You're also ignorant of whom I voted for which was NONE OF THE ABOVE by way of not voting although I don't begrudge or judge anybody who voted for either major candidate as both had legitimate positive aspects to go along with their negatives.

                                        So, are you willing to defend Dubya's legitimacy as a genuine dyed-in-the-wool Conservative?

                                        Kim Patrick Noyes
                                        Neutral in the Cultural War, Politically Independent & Spiritually Non-Denominational