Digging into the Roman Legion

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008

      Digging into the Roman Legion

      News Wales, 16/6/2008

      Archaeologists from Cardiff University today began excavating part of
      the remains of the 2,000 year old Roman Fortress in Caerleon, Newport.
      Led by Dr Peter Guest, of the School of History and Archaeology, the
      team of 50 archaeologists from Cardiff and University College London
      will excavate the remains of a monumental courtyard building in the
      south-western corner of the fortress. The building's existence was
      discovered during geophysical surveys undertaken by staff and students
      from the University and was investigated during trial excavations in
      2007. This year's excavation will open a large trench over the building,
      which is believed to be a store-building or warehouse. It is hoped that
      the excavations will reveal a wealth of new information about the
      storage facilities, provisioning, and supply of a Legion in Britain. Dr
      Peter Guest, of the School of History and Archaeology said:
      "Store-buildings are a largely unknown feature of legionary fortresses,
      and our work is the first research excavation conducted on a military
      store in Britain. We hope that our findings will not only improve our
      knowledge of the fortress and its inhabitants, but also tell us more
      about the history of the fortress and Roman Britain. This is real
      archaeology in action and we are looking forward to an exciting summer
      in Caerleon."

      http://www.newswales.co.uk/?section=Culture&F=1&id=14391