40 years ago on "Adam-12"

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2013
      Saw virtually this EXACT story on an old episode of "Adam-12" the other day. Supposedly the stories there are based on real-life cases, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this happens in some form or another on a regular basis in real life (just as "suicide by cop" does). The perpetrator on the show specifically opted for bank robbery as it would mean going to FEDERAL prison, where supposedly conditions are more amenable than at the state level.

      However, the story on the show didn't have a happy ending. The lovable old ex-con was fatally shot by an overzealous bank guard, even though he was just carrying a fake gun, namely his pipe under his coat.

      Yeah, you know, it would be nice to always know where your next meal was coming from, have a roof over your head, no responsibilities or decisions, etc., etc. Throw in conjugal visits by one of those "sexbots" on "Almost Human" and i'm on board! Enough of this rat race!

      RB, Used to smuggle seals across the border for immoral porpoises, but never got caught
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2013
        Yeah but if you are nice looking at all then you are a target for someone named Hans or Fritz. I guess if you are old enough maybe not. Still, I cannot imagine wanting to be incarcerated. Give me free will and decision making any day. Sad about the old guy though. Allison

        Saw virtually this EXACT story on an old episode of "Adam-12" the other day. Supposedly the stories there are based on real-life cases, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this happens in some form or another on a regular basis in real life (just as "suicide by cop" does). The perpetrator on the show specifically opted for bank robbery as it would mean going to FEDERAL prison, where supposedly conditions are more amenable than at the state level.

        However, the story on the show didn't have a happy ending. The lovable old ex-con was fatally shot by an overzealous bank guard, even though he was just carrying a fake gun, namely his pipe under his coat.

        Elderly Ex-Con Robs Bank Because He Missed Prison
        http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Elderly-Ex-Con-Robs-Bank-Because-He-Missed-Prison-233111181.html