Re: [allthingshistory] RE: [CGT] On this day in 1861: The first U.S. Federal Income Tax

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2013
      Given the nature of the times I don't think war could have been avoided. I am not sure that slavery would have ended naturally. It was too profitable among the  plantation owners who also controlled things politically. I think the whole situation was more like a boil that had to be lanced violently. But I agree that war should be avoided at all costs. Allison

      From: taxpayer@...
      Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 21:55:37 -0500

      On 08/05/2013 09:20 PM, Bob Matter wrote:

      On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Robert Blau <robert-blau@...> wrote:

      > And, of COURSE, it was to finance a WAR.

      Yeah, we should have just accepted slavery.

      HG favored the federal side in the War of Northern Aggression; however he pointed out that slaves might be better off than "free" labor lacking access to land.

      Do you find income taxes acceptable if they are not for war?

      Income taxes are fine as long as they exempt wages and interest, as defined by HG.

      -Bob M.