Re: [allthingshistory] Sounds interesting

  • Lin Kerns
    Message 1 of 76 , Jul 29, 2013
      "Something Wicked This Way Comes" wasn't so sanitary, but Disney still effed up the message that Ray Bradbury wrote in his story. That's why no one remembers it. The Twilight Zone was the only venue that had a handle on Bradbury enough to do him justice.

      But the His Dark Materials trilogy? Yes, Pullman is an atheist, which is why many were up in arms about his handling such a classic, sacrosanct retelling. Milton was an avowed Protestant and after Dante's Divine Comedy, it's my next favorite work ever.... even above my beloved Shakespeare. :-)  However, Pullman uses characters to have a dialogue concerning religion-not Christianity, per se. It is through this dialogue that we learn the dangers of allowing dogmatism to rule our lives more than true spiritualism, hence the two main characters' rebellion against the Magesterium and their rebellion shown as an act of heroism. Milton was said to be against all things "popery," but he really was against the lack of spiritualism within the hierarchy of a very dogmatic Church. And you have to admit, the Church is guilty on many fronts of using religion as a means of control.

      There was also the issue of daemons and especially the use of the word to describe the soul. The soul in the trilogy resides outside of the human body in the form of an animal. To many, that in itself was blasphemy. Of course in the movie, the relationship was more mutualistic than symbiotic. The attacks on the spirit by the Magesterium came through the forced separation of the human and its daemon, thereby crippling one and destroying the other.

      There are many other allusions made, but I won't go into them. That would call for a paper, I think. :-)  Oh, the last book was The Amber Spyglass and it depicts the "Fall of Mankind" in a different light. The trilogy really makes you think, and as I used to tell my incoming freshman, what is challenged and kept, only makes it stronger.

      Lin

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Allison Maricelli-Loukanis <allison.ann@...> wrote:

      I read the trilogy.."The Golden Compass", "The Subtle Knife" and the third one...forgot the name. Didn't realize it was a retelling of Paradise Lost. It certainly kept my interest but the Magisterium in the book was a thinly disguised condemnation of the Catholic church and pissed me off. I finished it though. The author is an atheist I believe...there was all kinds of controversy when the movie came out. I remember Nicole Kidman was on the defensive. But it is just a movie for pete's sake and so what if it had an atheistic message. There are all kinds in this world and that is what reading is for. I may have to go back and read Paradise Lost... it has only been what..30 years since I read that. lol..Allison

      Message 76 of 76 , Feb 3, 2016

        And Idina Menzel's in it! . . .

        http://www.chicago-theater.com/theaters/oriental-theatre/if-then.php

        www.chicago-theater.com
        Please note: The term Oriental Theatre and/or If/Then as well as all associated graphics, logos, and/or other tradermarks, tradenames or copyrights are the property ...