Issue of the century

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
      Write your congressman! No more glass ceiling for female LEGO figurines! (This should surely take precedence over children starving in Africa or getting lousey educations in our public schools. Not to mention honor killings, female circumcision, and infant mortality.)

      RB, It's nice to have priorities

      Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:26:17 +0000
      From: mail@...
      To: robert-blau@...
      Subject: My daughter wants Legos too

      Change.org Responsive Template Baseline
      robert - There's a new petition taking off on Change.org, and we think you might be interested in signing it:

      LEGO: Give Us More Options for Girls and Produce the Female Scientists Series!

      By Brave Girls Alliance
      Janesville, Wisconsin
      As the parent of a young son and daughter, I am tired of the gender stereotyped toys marketed to my children. My daughter is oversold pinkwashed redundant themes. Families are looking for multi-layered, diverse and strong media characters to enrich our girls’ imaginations. It hurts my heart to hear my seven year old ask why there are not more girls represented in LEGO, her favorite toy.
      Luckily, one of the entries in LEGO’s own public contest (CUUSOO) to design new building sets featured an inspiring and creative new Female Minifigure series including a paleontologist, robotics engineer, geologist, astronomer, chemist, judge and fire fighter. This series, which received the 10,000 votes necessary for it to be considered by LEGO for production, shows smart, adventurous, and strong women with a focus on STEM jobs. We are asking LEGO to produce the entire series so that our girls and boys can play with Minifigs such as female paleontologists studying their dinosaur bones.
      My son and daughter both love LEGO and both want every piece of the Female Minifigure series. I would jump at the chance to purchase something like this for my family. During a recent trip to the store both children were looking for these sets and were disappointed they were not for sale.
      Currently in all of the sets offered by LEGO, female characters make up only 16% of the Minifigures. (This number drops to 11% when you don’t count the Friends line, marketed only to girls.) LEGO can do better representing females in its building toys, and this proposed Female Minifigure series widely supported by consumers is a positive step in reaching gender balance. Girls can’t be what they can’t see and we demand more examples of girls and women that celebrate our intellect, courage, and creativity.
      I am looking forward to being able to buy this series several times over for my own children and as gifts. This is exactly the type of media I want to see for girls, for all children.

      Melissa Wardy
      Founding Member - Brave Girls Alliance

      CEO - Pigtail Pals & Ballcap Buddies

      The person (or organization) who started this petition is not affiliated with Change.org. Change.org did not create this petition and is not responsible for the petition content.

      Start a petition on Change.org

      Mailing Address: Change.org · 216 W 104th St., #130 · New York, NY 10025

    • Martin Baxter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013

        RB, I think that you'll be emulating the first Mayor Daley here ('vote early, vote often').

        Martin (not that there's anything wrong with it)

        Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:26:17 +0000
        From: mail@...
        To: robert-blau@...

        Change.org
[...]

      • Lin Kerns
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
          Amen and hallelujah! Where do I sign!  Wo0t!

          Lin

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
            Well... I suppose I agree with you. Starving kids and honor killings should take precedence over female Legos. My son played with Legos for years and my daughters had the same opportunity..come to think of it there are a few female type Lego figures. They look like mushroom people but they are there. My daughters didn't opt too much for the Legos though. I remember my sociology professor telling us that there were NO instincts among human babies. But as a mom I simply don't think that is true. My son from a year old would play with a stick if nothing else and kill a bug. My daughters would not do that...they would play with just about anything else and try to nurture it, even if it was a small pillow or handkerchief doll. I am sure we do, as a society, create a setup of gender roles with our pink baby clothes and our boy toys and girl toys. But even without these things there are still inherent masculine/feminine traits. Besides, I think girls and boys can become who they are supposed to be without a Lego figure leading the way. Allison

            Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:26:17 +0000
            From: mail@...
            To: robert-blau@...

            <a target="_blank" href="http://Change.org">Change.org</a> Responsive Template Baseline

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
              Well put, Allison, and I believe that there's a lot of evidence to back
              you up.

                      Posted by: "Allison Maricelli-Loukanis"
              allison.ann@... allisonann1960   Date: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:10 pm
              ((PDT))