Re: [allthingshistory] Happy 4th of July

  • Martin Baxter
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 4 6:35 PM

      I always tell anyone who wishes to be taller NOT to wish for it. At my height, it's absolutely impossible to find clothes off the rack. Gifts are almost always someone taking me to an exclusive Big & Tall shop Downtown for a fitting for a couple of pair of slacks. And sleeping... I have a King-sized bed, sleep from corner to corner.

      Height is.fundamentally overrated.

      On Jul 4, 2013 9:29 PM, "Allison Maricelli-Loukanis" <allison.ann@...> wrote:

      Well I envy your height...at 5'4, I would have liked to be about 4 inches taller. I am the shortest in my family... husband and kids are all taller. *:( sadAllison

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 4 8:30 PM
        Hadn't thought of that. Hmm. Allison

[...]

        Andrew

      • Martin Baxter
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6 3:42 PM

          The height-obsessed nature of this world has too much weight. So many other things I can't do, such as renting a car. My family wanted to drive up to Virginia for part of the summer, but there's nothing with enough leg room. (My niece is the shortest mender of my family here, at 5'10" (and probably still growing at almost 19)). Can't use Amtrak at all, except for cross-country travel.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 6 5:09 PM
            Well there must be some options... there are a lot of really tall basket ball players. What do they do? Allison

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 6 5:12 PM

              They can buy custom cars and limos, travel in private planes. Lucky guys. If I'd been able to get on the door at the rental office early enough, I could've gotten a good vehicle.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 6 5:30 PM
                Well. I suppose that is true. Bummer. I would take some inches if I could.. at least 4. That would bump me up to 5'8. That way I could be more intimidating and reach things. And I would never never have to hem up another pair of jeans or shorts which here in America are made for women who are 8 feet tall. But I  have to agree that it is not a hardship to travel. Allison

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 6 5:33 PM

                  If I could give you four inches of my height, it would gladly be yours. :-)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 7 6:27 AM
                    Thanks! *:) happy

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 15 9:11 AM
                      I have always thought I was just under 5' 3". Recently my height was measured. My jaw hit the floor when the aide told me I was right at 5'. I still am not sure I believe it. Ahhh!!

                      Elena

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 15 9:13 AM
                        Maybe you shrank? Lol.. I dunno. Allison

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 15 9:13 AM
                          Try living around people Martin's height when you are over a foot shorter. I have to have a stool in the kitchen just to reach the top shelves of my cupboards.

                          Elena

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 4 8:16 PM
                            Hello Group,

                            Let me wish all of you a Happy 4th of July honoring the 238th anniversary of our independence.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 5 1:37 PM
                              Backatcha!