Re: [allthingshistory] Fwd: [AHS Alumni] only slightly insultful

  • Dave Imrie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13 5:18 PM
      One Canadian WWI vet remains.

      On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

      From my friend Marsh Wise who owns Reenactor.net...............

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Marsh Wise <marsh@...>
      Date: Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 7:12 PM
      Subject: [AHS Alumni] only slightly insultful
      To: undisclosed-recipients

      Okay, many of you know I'm into history. Here is an article about the LAST French "Poilu" (soldier) who just died. <http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/12/europe/veteran.php>. 110 years old...

      The last German died new years day and there is one American, non combatant left alive. ONE! There's also 5 Brits plus one female Brit who was  in their Air Force, I think.

      I know, for most of you, you'd rather care about American Idol or some dumb crap, but this is something important. These men suffered and fought in something so horrific that people today couldn't even conceive of it. WWI was far worse than anything since. Yes, all war is bad, but WWI was WAAAAAAAYYYY worse.

      If you want, please read a bit about it here below. At leas that it, if you're not just some TV-addicted, pap-fed, shallow modern loser, Also, perhaps say a prayer for these people.
      Marsh the evyil

      The Great War

      World War I (or the "Great War" as it was called by those who fought in it) saw war at its unbelievable worst. Death was a constant companion stalking through the trenches, as it never had before. Life for the soldiers took on new horrors, the kind that only trench warfare can produce. There had never been anything like it before and there won't ever be anything like it again--WWI stands alone in history as man's greatest cruelty to his fellow man--each day reaching new heights of madness.

      Gains were measured in yards, at a cost in lives that is still unresolved to this day. Casualties were rounded-off to the hundreds of thousands as men were swallowed up in the hell of the trenches. A whole generation of men was lost forever, and in certain towns throughout England and France, the flower of youthful manhood was entirely erased, slaughtered in rows by the latest German weapon, the Maxim machine gun. Those men who weren't killed on the battlefield, had their lives irretrievably shattered.

      Places like Verdun and the Somme taught a need for new tactics, as both sides settled down to the stalemate of trench warfare. The soldiers experienced new and unheard-of horrors such as week-long artillery bombardments and poison--not to mention the "normal" old horrors of war such as rats, disease, mud, constant terror, and mutilation beyond comprehension, all of which left an impression that few can relate to in our modern "civilized" world.

      Now Forgotten

      Ask most students today about the First World War and they will only give you a blank stare. Very few Americans can even tell you what years WWI was fought during; let alone what the November 11th holiday means! (and no Virginia, it wasn't "Veterna's Day, it was Armistice Day, for the end of WWI) The veterans of the Great War are almost all gone now and the few of us who had the honor of knowing them, have been left with a curiosity and reverence toward those soldiers which has demanded a more in-depth exploration into "their" world. What was it like to live and fight in the trenches? Was it really THAT bad? Quite simply, YES--IT WAS!

      Get out a book and read it, watch a documentary. Oh, I need to stop... the modern society we live in is so shallow today.