Re: FW: Terms for Time of the Day - DailyWritingTips

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2013
      Hello Group,

      The definition of gloaming as twilight was read with interest.  A good many years back, I talked to a fellow who as a young man attended the Cubs game in late September of 1938 at Wrigley Field where Gabby Hartnett hit a 9th inning game winning and pennant winning homer.  Wrigley Field had no lights back then, twilight was approaching, and the umpires decided to call the game if it was still tied after the 9th inning- no overtime.

      I recall reading about what a Chicago newspaper called "The Homer in the Gloamin' ".  Thanks for the historical memories.

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 20, 2013
        Hi Andrew... when baseball games were held only in daylight because of lack of lighting...what did folks who work do? Just play hooky and go to the game? Allison

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 20, 2013
          Hello Allison,

          I heard of a few guys doing that.  Major league baseball had more attendance on weekends for the very reason you cite.  If I recall, the first major league game under the lights was around 1938 and gradually picked up.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
            We have Miller Stadium and have never been to a Brewer's game although we have been here in Milwaukee since 2002. But today we bought a promotional package of tickets and coupons so we can go this summer. Every time I ask what a ticket costs to go to a game I am shocked. Wonder what it cost in 1938? Because now it is forty dollars or more. Suppose you want to take your family? That's $160 for four people. Ack! That is a light bill or water bill. Allison

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
              Hello Allison,

              Extravagant player salaries are a major reason behind high ticket prices, high food costs, and high priced sports memorabilia.  I recall grandstand seats for around $5- and bleacher sets for around $1-.  Hope you enjoy the ballpark and the game.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
                I would argue it's the other way around - the owners and other sports interests are making so much money the player have rightly demanded to get a cut of the action since it is their bodies and effort on the line making it all happen anyway.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
                  Hello Kim and Group,

                  Owners did make a good deal of money.  Problem is that the better and higher priced players cost so much that a poor man who at one time might take his kid to the ballpark maybe a half dozen times a season now might only take him once or twice a season*.  Some people don't get much fun out of life, and I don't like to see them lose what little they have.  From baseball, extravagant salaries spread to other sports.  Then it went to CEOs and upper level corporate management.  With free agency and no salary cap, Charlie Finley saw what was coming, wouldn't pay extravagant salaries, and decided to sell his club.

                  I'm going back some years when Rhine Sandberg** on the Cubs got $6 million a season.  Not counting spring training, that amounted to around 42 grand per ballgame. That was far more than what an average player used to get per season. Some owners got overpaid, and I do think players should have a good healtcare plan for injuries and a decent retirement.

                  *they would either have to fill up at Mc Donald's before the game or sneak sandwiches into the ballpark because of high weenie, suds, and soda prices.
                  **he marketed a chocolate candy bar locally which was called Rhino, good but priced higher than Nestle's or Hershey's.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 22, 2013
                    That makes sense. No one deserves all those millions of dollars for hitting a ball. GRRR. But that is America. Allison