anniversary

    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 6, 2013
      Today in 1917 Congress declared war on Kaiser Bill.  We had a type of benevolent neutrality where we supplied Lloyd George.  U-Boat attacks were restricted after protests about the Lusitania, then reinstated.  When that happened, Woody Wilson rent his garments in horror and congress declared war.

      We later had benevolent neutrality when we supplied Winnie Churchill, and in late 1941 there was an undeclared naval war in the North Atlantic.  The destroyer U S S Reuben James* got sunk on Halloween.  And maybe St Franklin** would have followed Woody Wilson and rent his garments in horror over U-Boats sinking our boats - but for Pearl Harbor.

      *Kenny Rogers had a song with that title helping immortalize the four piper, kind of like the song about the Edmund Fitzgerald***.
      **I had a recitation dealing with F D R and the Supreme Court opposing the New Deal.  Late one evening when the class and professor were nodding off. I started the recitation with: St. Franklin and the nine old men.  That got everybody's attention.
      ***before those songs, there was Johnny Horton wih Sink the Bismarck. He also sang  Alaska Sara's supposed theme song- North to Alaska.

      Message 69 of 69 , Nov 22, 2013
        Hello Group,

        I have received many messages noting the 50th anniversary of the assassination of John F. Kennedy.  There is little I can add.  We have no shortage of controversy and conspiracy theories, who benefited, and whether we would have been better off had he continued in office.  It seems hard to think that if he were alive today, he would be 96, but after an afternoon in Dallas he would get no older and remain in our collective memory as a young President.

        A few days ago we celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.  Time does go by.