anniversary

    Message 1 of 70 , Apr 6, 2013
      Today in 1917 Congress declared war on Kaiser Bill.  We had a type of benevolent neutrality where we supplied Lloyd George.  U-Boat attacks were restricted after protests about the Lusitania, then reinstated.  When that happened, Woody Wilson rent his garments in horror and congress declared war.

      We later had benevolent neutrality when we supplied Winnie Churchill, and in late 1941 there was an undeclared naval war in the North Atlantic.  The destroyer U S S Reuben James* got sunk on Halloween.  And maybe St Franklin** would have followed Woody Wilson and rent his garments in horror over U-Boats sinking our boats - but for Pearl Harbor.

      *Kenny Rogers had a song with that title helping immortalize the four piper, kind of like the song about the Edmund Fitzgerald***.
      **I had a recitation dealing with F D R and the Supreme Court opposing the New Deal.  Late one evening when the class and professor were nodding off. I started the recitation with: St. Franklin and the nine old men.  That got everybody's attention.
      ***before those songs, there was Johnny Horton wih Sink the Bismarck. He also sang  Alaska Sara's supposed theme song- North to Alaska.

      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 7, 2016
        Hello Group,

        Today marks the anniversary of Daniel Webster's 7th of March speech where he endorsed the compromise of 1850. He spoke not as a Massachusetts man but as an American.   In return for admitting California as a free state breaking the long time balance of admitting free and slave states alternatively and keeping a balance, a fugitive slave act would be enacted.  He was much disliked in northern free states as a result.

        Some historians and commentators thought that he helped avoid secession, but it may be that he prevented another nullification controvesy over tariffs or other issues.  In several trials in federal courts in northern states, people charged with aiding and abetting runaway slaves were not only acquitted but sometimes through jury nullification wherein the jury stated the fugitive slave law was unconstitutional and/or immoral.