First campaign of the Mexican War

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
      March 27, 167 years ago . . .

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Fort_Texas
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
        Hello Group,

        When he was ordered to move to the north bank of the Rio Grande opposite Matamoros, Zachary Taylor requested written orders from President Polk figuring the move could start a war with Mexico.  He would wage some pretty good campaigns and Winfield Scott would wage some brilliant ones which, had he have lost one battle, we would have lost the war.  Thanks for memories of history class at Purdue.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2013
          This is interesting. In Texas history, we learned extensively about the Texas war for independence but not so much about the war between the US and Mexico. I guess this is where Zachary Taylor came to the forefront of American attention. Allison