Re: [allthingshistory] Why extreme Islamists are intent on destroying cultural artifacts

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2013
      Robert,
       Some folks are just plain ignorant. I don't think these guys are mentally ill. I think they are anal and retentive maybe evil at least to us. But... the Spanish did the same in the New World with the Mayan writings, in fact some Catholic priests were responsible for saving some manuscripts. The  medieval/early Church likely did deface and destroy some of the Greek statues and they rounded up much of the Gnostic stuff as they could and destroyed it. Protestants destroyed Papist stuff. Both Catholics and Protestants destroyed people...burned witches, etc. Every faith and every creed except maybe Buddhism is tarred with this violent tendency. I don't know about Hindus but they had their violent sects.. Thuggees, etc. I don't like these militant Islamics either but they are not new or different unfortunately. Allison

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
        Unfortunately there are some people here in the states that believe anything not Christian, or goes against it's principles (by their definition) should be destroyed.

        This thinking is not only in the Islamist camp. "Sigh"

        Elena
        >^..^<

        Gee, could it be because they're MENTALLY ILL? . . .

        Why extreme Islamists are intent on destroying cultural artifacts -
        World News

        http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/02/16788304-why-extreme-islamists-are-intent-on-destroying-cultural-artifacts

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            allthingshistory-digest@yahoogroups.com
            allthingshistory-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2013
          And then there are bigoted anti-Christians with an ax to grind whom want to destroy anything Christian they legally can get by with..... they confuse "freedom OF religion" for "freedom FROM religion".

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013
            For Pete's sake...there are ignorant and bigoted folks in both groups. I struggle every day with really conservative folks in my homeschool groups. The big issue recently was Beyonce's costume and dance in the Superbowl. Good grief. I thought she looked good and the dance well ...didn't see much  but excerpts. We missed the greater part of the game, having very little interest in either the Ravens or the 49ers.
             One guy in my  group actually thought the movie "Singin in the Rain" inappropriate for the kids. Ack! He is the same one who threw a wrench in the works when I tried to organize a swim for the kids at one of Milwaukee's indoor water parks a few years ago. He was wanting to dictate what sorts of bathing suits the girls wear...sounded like he thought they should wear one of those getups popular in 1910. The result was no one signed up and I don't blame them.
             On the other hand, back when we lived in Texas, there was a homeschool elist called Taffie. I met a lot of disgruntled Wiccans and other pagans who were angry all the time over bits and bobs and whatever. So what do we do? Well..just ignore them. And cultivate the friendships of broadminded and educated people. That is about all one can do. Allison

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013
              A friend comments:

              Even though Taliban means student, these people have no education except

              what they have learned from the free Islamic religious schools. Their
              parents were probably too poor to send them to regular schools. The only

              long-term way to defeat Islamism is to provide a free well-rounded
              education to today's youth and beyond. The Western countries should be
              willing to help finance such an education which would include a deep
              study of the moderate and tolerant Muslim philosophers who used to be
              influential many generations ago.

              never_submit_2_jihad@yahoogroups.com; islamic_terror@yahoogroups.com;
              antiterrorismcoalition@yahoogroups.com;
              americanconservative@yahoogroups.com;
              palestinianchristians@yahoogroups.com
              piantanida31@...

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2013
                Oh I agree with this. Did you ever see "Charlie Wilson's War"?...ATthe end of the movie they were talking about building infrastructure in Afghanistan after they booted the Russians out. Too bad they didn't...the Taliban might not hve taken hold then. Allison

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                  I am thinking more of works of art or architecture. I am not going to get into philosophy or ideology.

                  I really get ticked when one group thinks that they are the ONLY one who listens to or has the path to any deity you choose to name. Early man had some sort of reverence to what is now considered God, be it animism, polytheism or monotheism.

                  The cave paintings and other art work from Europe show modern humans are not the only group to see wonder in nature or attempt to understand it.

                  Elena

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                    That is why I collect those hunter gatherer fertrility figurines. Allison

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                      Looking at ancient religious artifacts, especially pagan ones,  is not done for purposes of religion or worship.  One views them to see where mankind has been before, sometimes how thinking evolved,* and some of the barbarism it has overcome.

                      *someone wrote Egyptian atenism was the ancestor of monotheism.  I talked to the late Dr. Hughes of the Oriental Institute in Chicago who noted that Hebrew monotheism antedated atenism which Genesis alludes to with Hebrews migrating to Egypt.

                      Andrew
                    • Elena Vaccaro
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                        Andrew, there are many things that can be discerned from artifacts be they art or general use items (which sometimes were decorated as art).

                        Elena