Re: Most disappointing movies

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2012
      Ah, I think they point out the flaws that a lot of people saw in the movie. I still liked it, tho', although not without reservations.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2012
        Geez..not only did I miss this post first time around I missed most of themovies too. Except for "John Carter"...which I did enjoy and also "Dark Shadows" that was ok too. Entertaining. I guess the others will show up on cable or late night tv eventually. Allison

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2012
          The only genuine weak point of the movie was the behaviors of the mission geologist and biologist.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2012
            And Charlize Theron running around in a tight body suit has absolutely nothing to do with it I am sure..Allison

            The only genuine weak point of the movie was the behaviors of the mission geologist and biologist.

            On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Robert Blau <robert-blau@...> wrote:

            Ah, I think they point out the flaws that a lot of people saw in the movie. I still liked it, tho', although not without reservations.

            > Posted by: "Kim Noyes" kimnoyes@... kimusinteruptus
            > Date: Tue Dec 4, 2012 11:51 am ((PST))
            >
            > The Prometheus analysis sucks, not the movie.
            >
            > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Robert Blau <robert-blau@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Interesting list . . .
            > >

            > > http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/most-disappointing-movies-2012-005030314.html?page=1
            > >
            > > RB, Wants to drop acid and see "Oogieloves" [Page 10]

          • Lin Kerns
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 7, 2012
              Actually Charlize Theron was a cold, manipulative beotch in the movie. Not exactly someone a guy would think of cuddling up with unless he was kind of desperate. But then her reaction fell into place along with her even more manipulative father, who she felt rejected by. Their selfishness made the mission of discovery even more hazardous.

              The two scientists were so unprofessional in their investigation of new life, but then there were others, too. It was as if the entire experience was overwhelming to these newbie researchers and in the process, they forgot safety measures in their enthusiasm. As the crew was not military, there was less attention paid to protocol as there should have been. Theron's character could be blamed for this, as she pretty much sat the ship down on an alien planet and folded her arms. In other words, she did not manifest any leadership skills. Without a definitive leader, the party's structure fell apart fairly quickly in the face of new and exotic danger.

              Critics are quick to dismiss the plot of "Prometheus" as  a mishmash of confusion, but the true "Alien" fans are very happy with the movie. People like ends to be tied up neatly at the end and/or that anything new and alien within a story to be substantiated with perfect answers. This was the same situation when "2001 A Space Odyssey" opened in 1968. Nobody understood the first half of the movie and then you've got the Space Baby at the end which really tested the audience. Yet, the movie is now hailed as a classic and justifiably so.
              But there was an almost audible sigh of relief from the public when "2010" emerged later and solved so many of those metaphysical dilemmas.

              Another movie that equally blew the minds of the public was "Slaughterhouse 5," which had no basis in reality, yet made a new reality within itself. It, too, is a classic, despite that most people couldn't wrap their minds around it. I think these two movies exemplify some of the best attributes of modern day science fiction... they are are to make you think and to search for your own answers... to not rely on a screenwriter's skill to give those answers to you.

              I'm sure when the sequel to "Prometheus" is released in a year or so that there will be many more answers, but the "Alien" franchise has left questions for many of us in the dark about many things since it began. And yet, with each sequel, not one critic bothered to ask, where the hell the aliens came from, why were they like they were, and most of all, what was their function as a species. For me, discovering more about the biology of the aliens is everything. The concept of the aliens sprang from the mind of H. R. Giger, but then they assumed an existence quite apart from the artist.

              I think that what bothered most people in "Prometheus" was the unexplained proliferation of life forms on this new planet, a
              s well as the continuing mystery of the Engineers. Kim and I have already had a very stimulating conversation about the questions these issues raise, as well as discerning clues from within the movie that lead us to formulate new hypothesis. So to me, this film inspires new thought, new ways of thinking, and a continuation of discovery. Let there always be mystery in the universe so that our search for truth leads us to know more about ourselves and our s environment.

              Lin

              On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Allison Maricelli-Loukanis <allison.ann@...> wrote:

              And Charlize Theron running around in a tight body suit has absolutely nothing to do with it I am sure..Allison

              The only genuine weak point of the movie was the behaviors of the mission geologist and biologist.

              On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Robert Blau <robert-blau@...> wrote:

              Ah, I think they point out the flaws that a lot of people saw in the movie. I still liked it, tho', although not without reservations.

              > Posted by: "Kim Noyes" kimnoyes@... kimusinteruptus
              > Date: Tue Dec 4, 2012 11:51 am ((PST))
              >
              > The Prometheus analysis sucks, not the movie.
              >
              > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Robert Blau <robert-blau@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Interesting list . . .
              > >

              > > http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/most-disappointing-movies-2012-005030314.html?page=1
              > >
              > > RB, Wants to drop acid and see "Oogieloves" [Page 10]

              Zenguins!
              ei8-Volcanoes of the World Webcams
              Roxxfoxx~~Adventures in Geology

              Penguin News Today
              Penguinology: The Science of Penguins
              Gentoo Penguins of Gars O'Higgins Station, Antarctica
              Canis lupus 101
              Dances with Werewolves
              Follow me on Pinterest!
              Through Golden Eyes