New Maya Temple Found in Guatemala Intrigues Archaeologists

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2012
      New Maya Temple Found in Guatemala Intrigues Archaeologists
      FOX News Latino [USA], July 24, 2012

      The1,600-year-old faces of the Maya sun god emerged from the ground in
      Guatemala. Dubbed the Temple of the Night Sun, the newly discovered
      temple depicts the sun god as a shark, blood-drinker, and jaguar.
      University of Pennsylvania Maya scholar Simon Martin said the masks on
      the recently discovered El Zotz temple are "completely unique." Beyond
      this, they can provide valuable insight and verify theories about Maya
      portrayals of the sun god. "We have images of the sun god at different
      stages ... but we've never found anything that puts it all together,"
      said Martin, who was not involved in the project.

      http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2012/07/24/new-maya-temple-found-in-guatemala-intrigues-archaeologists/

      Also:

      Image Gallery: Inca Child Mummies
      LiveScience [USA], 25 July 2012

      Three child mummies were discovered on the summit of the Llullaillaco
      volcano located on the Argentina-Chile border. The summit is 22,100 feet
      (6,739 meters) above sea level, where temperatures were chilled enough
      to preserve the bodies, turning them into mummies, after the kids were
      sacrificed some 500 years ago.

      http://www.livescience.com/21848-image-gallery-inca-child-mummies.html