Time magazine breastfeeding cover sparks controversy

    Message 1 of 4 , May 10 12:32 PM
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15 6:40 AM
        It used to be the norm back in earlier times for women to breastfeed their kids a long time...even up to four and five years of age. Food was sometimes scarce and breastfeeding a long time gave kids an advantage in times when infant and child mortality was very high. What is the big deal? How can we live in a culture where women are routinely pictured in all sorts of nude magazines and featured as nude victims in slasher movies but a mother breastfeeding her kid is a shock. Geez....Allison

          Those things are not done right in public and we also don't allow sex in public or public defecation. While neither sex nor defecation are inherently bad decorum is decorum. With some things it is rude and inconsiderate to do in front of other folks not participating in it and for whom having it occur in plain sight unwantedly involves them.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 19 7:08 AM
            Ok..I didn't see this. I am currently cleaning out my email...being in Houston.
             Breastfeeding is not the same as public defecation. What is bothering folks here is not the breastfeeding itself as much as it is the age of the child in the picture. Also the mom is not really exhibiting any signs of maternalism. She doesn't have her arms around her son, she is just standing there like a public water fountain. It is a  very clinical picture. Time magazine is trying to generate controversy in order to generate sales. That is sad they picked this venue because breastfeeding is a beautiful natural act that should occur everywhere despite the foo foo issues some folks have. Allison