Re: [allthingshistory] New Old Theory That White Peeps Discovered America First

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2012
      I imagine as time goes on and we improve our skills in excavation we will find a lot more evidence that ancient people  got around much more frequently than we give them credit for now. Just look at the ancient Polynesian explorers....how did they know there were islands for them to find in the Pacific? That is a big ocean but some of them obviously took a chance to find out. And all that without a compass or any other instrument of navigation that I know of. Just the stars. So it doesn't stretch the imagination that stone age people could have found their way to the Americas. Maybe just little groups of folks.
      Or hey...maybe there was a big Stone Age Symposium with seminars on how to carve stone tools for the supreme purpose of confusing future archaeologists....lol.  Allison

      From: Robert Blau <robert-blau@...>
      To: "dis" <ancient_discoveries@yahoogroups.com>, "his" <allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com>, deltaflyers3@yahoogroups.com, deltaflyers2@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, March 3, 2012, 12:38 PM

      I love when that happens . . .

      European style stone tools suggest Stone Age people actually discovered
      America

      February 29th, 2012 in Other Sciences / Archaeology & Fossils
      (PhysOrg.com) -- Archeologists and historians have long known that it
      wasn't really Christopher Columbus who discovered America. Native
      Americans had been living all over North, Central and South America long

      before he arrived. And Native Americans came from Asia across the
      frozen-over Bering Sea in the west. But now, it appears Europeans might
      have been first to arrive on the scene after all. Stone tools found
      recently in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia in the eastern United
      States, all appear to bear a striking resemblance to tools used by Stone

      Age peoples in early Europe, and have been dated to a time between
      19,000 and 26,000 years ago, a period during which Stone Age people were

      making such tools, and long before the early Asians arrived. It's not an

      implausible theory, suggests Dennis Stanford, of the Smithsonian
      Institution and Bruce Bradley of the University of Exeter, because Stone

      Age people could have come from Europe by traveling across the ice-bound

      North Atlantic during the Ice Age. The evidence is further bolstered by
      the recent discovery that an ancient knife found in Virginia in 1971 was

      made of flint that originated from France. They two have coauthored a
      book on the subject, Across Atlantic Ice.

      Stanford and Bradley also point out the lack of evidence of any human
      activity in the north-east part of Siberia or in Alaska any earlier than

      15,500 years ago. And the reason early Asians won out, evolving into the

      people now called Native Americans, was because their window of
      opportunity was much wider, 15,000 years versus just 4500 for the early
      Europeans. Thus the original Native Americans were either assimilated or

      killed by the large numbers of migrating Asians. Evidence that it was
      likely the former has been found in the DNA of skeletons of North
      American Native American people. Also, the language of several Native
      American tribes doesn't seem to have originated from Asia.

      The two also say that it's conceivable that Stone Age people could have
      traveled such a long way over ice from Europe to America because there
      would have been more than enough food to be had from the ocean. It all
      adds up the two say, to a compelling case for Stone Age travelers being
      titled as the people who truly did discover America.
      © 2011 PhysOrg.com

      2012.http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-european-style-stone-tools-age.html