Re: Trivia 30 sep

  • Tristan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      You are right about that. Sources dispute about whether it
      means "Good man Richard" or "Poor Richard", and I don't speak French
      so I don't know which is right. Regardless, the name was picked by
      Jones to show his respect for his mentor Benjamin Franklin, who
      wrote the Poor Richard's Almanac. The name of the ship when it was
      in French service was Duc De Durae.

      --- In allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Jackson
      <dradjackson@...> wrote:

      > Hello Tristan,
      >
      > I don't know the original name but do recall the Bonhomme
      Richard was an East Indiaman not well suited for fighting and won
      only because it had the better captain. I think the name means Good
      Man Richard or colloquially Good Neighbor Dick.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hello,

        A note of humor if you will.  After the Serapis incident, Captain Pearson of that boat was made a knight.  John Paul Jones is reported to have commented: let me fight him again, and I'll make him a lord.