Re: [allthingshistory] Trivia 30 sep

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hello Tristan,
      I don't know the original name but do recall the Bonhomme Richard was an East Indiaman not well suited for fighting and won only because it had the better captain.  I think the name means Good Man Richard or colloquially Good Neighbor Dick.

      Andrew

      Tristan <nitsirtthecommie@...> wrote:
      John Paul Jones was immortalized during his fight with the HMS Serapis
      aboard the Bonhomme Richard, a former French ship. What was the ship's
      original name, and what does Bonhomme Richard mean?

    • Tristan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        You are right about that. Sources dispute about whether it
        means "Good man Richard" or "Poor Richard", and I don't speak French
        so I don't know which is right. Regardless, the name was picked by
        Jones to show his respect for his mentor Benjamin Franklin, who
        wrote the Poor Richard's Almanac. The name of the ship when it was
        in French service was Duc De Durae.

        --- In allthingshistory@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Jackson

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
          Hello,

          A note of humor if you will.  After the Serapis incident, Captain Pearson of that boat was made a knight.  John Paul Jones is reported to have commented: let me fight him again, and I'll make him a lord.