Re: [allthingshistory] The oldest church in America... where Pocahontas married

  • Lin Kerns
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2011
      That bit about the first European settlement? I thought it was St. Augustine, Florida.

      Lin

      On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Kim Noyes <kimnoyes@...> wrote:

      Fascinating discovery... but the article makes a huge error in one of its claims... anybody notice it?

      On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Robert Blau <robert-blau@...> wrote:

      Discovered after 400 years: The oldest church in America... where
      Pocahontas married Englishman John Rolfe
      The Daily Mail [UK], 28th November 2011
      The site where legendary Native American heroine Pocahontas married
      tobacco planter John Rolfe in 1614 has been discovered by a prominent
      U.S. archaeologist. William Kelso says the remains of the oldest U.S.
      Protestant church which hosted the ceremony has been uncovered in
      Jamestown, Virginia. The area was excavated to reveal several large post
      holes six-and-a-half feet deep and remnants of four graves.

      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066951/Found-After-nearly-400-years-site-Pocahontas-married-Englishman-John-Rolfe.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

      Vei8-Volcanoes of the World Webcams
      Roxxfoxx~~Adventures in Geology

      Penguin News Today
      Penguinology: The Science of Penguins
      Gentoo Penguins of Gars O'Higgins Station, Antarctica
      Canis lupus 101
      Dances with Werewolves
      Through Golden Eyes