Introduction

  • Jenni
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2003
      Hello everyone. My name is Jenni, I am 21 years old and I am
      currently attending a private school here in Houston Texas that
      specializes in paralegal education. I also work part time as a
      paralegal, and part time as a receptionist. I do plan on going to
      law school, eventually. I hope that I am welcome here. I would like
      to get to know you all. Anyone in Texas?
      Jenni/Skyy
    • Marie A. Ford
      Message 2 of 20 , May 4, 2003
        Hi Jenni! Welcome! I am fairly new here also. I'm in Killeen, Texas which is an hour south of Austin. Which school are you attending?

        Jenni <skyy_lynn@...> wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Jenni, I am 21 years old and I am
        currently attending a private school here in Houston Texas that
        specializes in paralegal education. I also work part time as a
        paralegal, and part time as a receptionist. I do plan on going to
        law school, eventually. I hope that I am welcome here. I would like
        to get to know you all. Anyone in Texas?
        Jenni/Skyy

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 20 , May 5, 2003
          Welcome Jenni. I'm in Oklahoma. Get the most and best paralegal education you can. The competition in Texas is pretty stiff, and having a stellar education will help you rise to the top.

          Celia C. Elwell, RP

          Tel: 405/297-2695
          Fax: 405/297-2118
          celia@...

          --- "Jenni" <skyy_lynn@...> wrote:
          >Hello everyone. My name is Jenni, I am 21 years old and I am
          >currently attending a private school here in Houston Texas that
          >specializes in paralegal education. I also work part time as a
          >paralegal, and part time as a receptionist. I do plan on going to
          >law school, eventually. I hope that I am welcome here. I would like
          >to get to know you all. Anyone in Texas?
          >Jenni/Skyy

        • Jenni
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6, 2003
            Hello again. I attend The Center For Advanced Legal Studies here in
            Houston. They have both a certificate and AAS degree program. I am
            going for the AAS. I would like to, upon graduating, obtain my BS
            and continue on to law school. Is that common among paralegals? To
            want to go to law school? I have heard different opinions, anyone
            else here plan on doing that? Hope everyone is well today!
            Jenni

            --- In allparalegalsnetworkingetc@yahoogroups.com, celia@l...,

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • heathercat@attbi.com
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6, 2003
              Jenni,
              It is great to hear that you are going for your AAS. I just completed mine
              and I am excited about being a paralegal. There are many in my program that
              aspire to continue on and get their JD. I intended to do the same, but I have
              decided to work amongst lawyers for a while and see if that is a career path I
              would like to pursue. Good luck to you. Are you just starting your program?
              Keep us posted on your progress. This is a great place to network, ask
              questions, and find information. Do look in to joining your local paralegal
              association. They can be your greatest resource.
              Heather in Seattle
            • MARINPARALEGAL25@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 20 , May 6, 2003
                I am in the process of looking for a Position as a Litigation Paralegal or
                legal assistant in the Phoenix area. I am in the process of getting my
                Paralegal certificate.
                My name is Charles/26 year old male living in Mesa, Az from San Rafael,Ca.

              • Celia Elwell
                Message 7 of 20 , May 6, 2003
                  From what I've heard, law firms and attorneys in that neck of the woods prefer folks who already know Arizona law. Your best bet is to look in the big cities. Have you hooked up with a paralegal association in that state? If not, I recommend that you do so to start networking. Those folks will also help you with your job search.

                  Celia C. Elwell, RP
                  PACE Registered Paralegal

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 6, 2003
                    I have a lawyer friend I am going to network with once she moves back to
                    Arizona. She know few lawyers at some of the big firms down here

                  • Becky
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 20, 2004
                      Hello everyone,

                      I am a 42 year old in Florida who is pursuing a career change.

                      I am in my third semester of an AA degree in Paralegal Studies. I
                      have always worked in medical related offices doing computer network
                      administration, but have a passionate interest in the legal field.
                      Therefore, I decided to take the leap.

                      I have begun applying for "foot in the door" positions in the State
                      Attorney office and with the court systems, as I have an avid
                      interest in criminal law.

                      I would love to hear from anyone in the Gainesville, FL area.

                      Becky
                    • celia@solve360.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 20, 2004
                        Becky,

                        You might also go to Legal Aid -- they are always looking for
                        volunteers. Have you considered working for attorneys who practice
                        criminal law?

                        Celia

                        I am a 42 year old in Florida who is pursuing a career change.

                        I am in my third semester of an AA degree in Paralegal Studies. I
                        have always worked in medical related offices doing computer network
                        administration, but have a passionate interest in the legal field.
                        Therefore, I decided to take the leap.

                        I have begun applying for "foot in the door" positions in the State
                        Attorney office and with the court systems, as I have an avid
                        interest in criminal law.

                        I would love to hear from anyone in the Gainesville, FL area.

                        Becky

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        click here
                        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dfu9dm/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/
                        D=groups/S=1705059415:HM/EXP=1087834057/A=2164339/R=0/SIG=11e2d64in/*htt
                        p://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183348>

                        _____

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        nsubscribe>

                      • Pam McCaffery
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 6, 2004
                          I live in St. Petersburg Florida, but it is weird. I have been in the medical field forever, working in computers as well as admin. assistant. I too enrolled in Kaplan on line school, and I have about 3 months left until I graduate. I always had an interest in the legal field, and I really love the classes. I too have started applying even as a secretary in a legal office. I am still working in a hospital though

                          Good Luck to you,

                          Pam McCaffery

                        • Amisha Grasty
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 7, 2004
                            Hi Pam,

                            My name is Amisha and I currently reside in Baltimore, Maryland. I have been to like 5 colleges in 4 years ( I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do). But now I have decided to become a paralegal (finally made up my mind). Ever since I went to my first college in Alabama, I have been working in the medical field starting out as a work-study student, then a receptionist. When I came back to Maryland, I landed a job as a secretary. Finally, now for the last year I have been working for a Medical Malpractice Insurance Company as a Claims Secretary. I've recently decided to become a paralegal...I had actually enrolled with Kaplan College, but after joining this discussion group, decided against it and just enrolled at a local Community College for an A.S. and the school is ABA approved. Since I have made the choice to become a paralegal, I have been looking for entry level jobs with law firms (with the hope of job advancement to a paralegal once I finish school). To my
                            surprise I got a call back and landed a job as a Client Intake Assistant at a large law firm here. I just wanted to wish you good luck and to tell you to stay motivated. A lot of the job postings that you will see for law firms say they want you to have several years of law firm experience...but all I did was just put myself out there, despite the lack of experience, and I just figured that the least that they could do would be to say no to me. I just gave it a shot and it worked for me....so just keep your head up and stay persistent...good things will happen for you in time.

                            Pam McCaffery <pamintpa@...> wrote:
                            I live in St. Petersburg Florida, but it is weird. I have been in the medical field forever, working in computers as well as admin. assistant. I too enrolled in Kaplan on line school, and I have about 3 months left until I graduate. I always had an interest in the legal field, and I really love the classes. I too have started applying even as a secretary in a legal office. I am still working in a hospital though

                            Good Luck to you,

                            Pam McCaffery

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          • Carol Ann Culbert Johnson
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 23, 2006
                              Hi Everyone. My name is Carol Johnson and I am a paralegal student. I
                              am very much interested in the field of paralegal and I want to find
                              me a job in this field.

                              I work at a clinic now, and I am a writer. My website is
                              www.carolannjohnson.net so please check it out. I am in my last
                              semester at Kaplan University and then I will graduate with my
                              Associate Degree. I am eager to join this group to learn and learn.
                            • Tracee Jordan

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 23, 2006
                                  Hi Tracee

                                  That is awesome that you're a student of Kaplan. It's nice to meet you, and I look forward to the information.

                                  Carol Johnson

                                  [greeniconfessbooks@...] wrote:
                                  Hi Everyone. My name is Carol Johnson and I am a paralegal student. I
                                  am very much interested in the field of paralegal and I want to find
                                  me a job in this field.

                                  I work at a clinic now, and I am a writer. My website is
                                  www.carolannjohnson.net so please check it out. I am in my last
                                  semester at Kaplan University and then I will graduate with my
                                  Associate Degree. I am eager to join this group to learn and learn.

                                • kent_1wa
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
                                    Hello from Sunny Washington!

                                    My name is Ken and I will be starting classes here in a few weeks.

                                    After 20 years I am returning to finish my AA and also get my AAS in
                                    Paralegal.

                                    Any suggestions on how to navigate the system? Any great courses that
                                    you have taken that really helped out while in school?

                                    Thanks much! I have stayed at home with my two girls for the last 4
                                    years while momma works. Once I finish my schooling, the kids will be
                                    in school and time for me to go back to work! Staying home with the
                                    kids is great, but being home while they are in school just sounds
                                    boring. SO night courses are in store for this Dad.

                                    Have a great Labor Day Weekend
                                  • jessacaspeede
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 3, 2006
                                      --- In allparalegalsnetworkingetc@yahoogroups.com, "kent_1wa"
                                      <kent_1wa@...> wrote:

                                      > Hello from Sunny Washington!
                                      >
                                      > My name is Ken and I will be starting classes here in a few weeks.
                                      >
                                      > After 20 years I am returning to finish my AA and also get my AAS
                                      in
                                      > Paralegal.
                                      >
                                      > Any suggestions on how to navigate the system? Any great courses
                                      that
                                      > you have taken that really helped out while in school?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks much! I have stayed at home with my two girls for the last
                                      4
                                      > years while momma works. Once I finish my schooling, the kids will
                                      be
                                      > in school and time for me to go back to work! Staying home with
                                      the
                                      > kids is great, but being home while they are in school just sounds
                                      > boring. SO night courses are in store for this Dad.
                                      >
                                      > Have a great Labor Day Weekend

                                      Hi,
                                      I will be starting school this semester also to get my paralegal
                                      degree! Good luck to you!>
                                    • jessacaspeede
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 3, 2006
                                        --- In allparalegalsnetworkingetc@yahoogroups.com, "Carol Ann Culbert
                                        Johnson" <greeniconfessbooks@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Everyone. My name is Carol Johnson and I am a paralegal student.
                                        > am very much interested in the field of paralegal and I want to find
                                        > me a job in this field.
                                        >
                                        > I work at a clinic now, and I am a writer. My website is
                                        > www.carolannjohnson.net so please check it out. I am in my last
                                        > semester at Kaplan University and then I will graduate with my
                                        > Associate Degree. I am eager to join this group to learn and learn.

                                        Hi Carol,

                                        I have thought about taking online classes to get my degree in
                                        paralegal studies, but I have been skeptical about the online setting.
                                        How is it working out for you?
                                      • Carol Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
                                          Hi Jessaca and it's working just fine. I am at my second school for my BA and thank God for online education because if I had to travel back and forth, I couldn't do it, especially in the cold months of Chicago. I love it. I have my classes, books, and everything. All I need is my computer and I am on my way. It's the best thing, and in the future it will be the only thing.

                                          Carol Johnson