Re: [All Paralegals Networking etc ] Paralegal programs online

  • Marian Yarbrough
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Ditto... An ABA-approved.

      rusynska@... wrote:
      An ABA-approved program is the way to go, but it doesn't sound as if that is an option for you. "ABA-compliant" is not the same thing. Are you sure you don't want to hold out for an ABA-approved program?

      The combo of paralegal and engineering sounds really good. In the Washington, DC, area, there are too many paralegals with ABA-approved certificates from bricks-and-mortar universities for a non-ABA-approved online certificate holder to compete. I am at a school that has an MA in Legal Administration attached to a Graduate paralegal certificate and entry into the grad program does not require a legal background, just an undergrad degree.

      Pat
      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:18:45 -0000
      From: "jasonantonino" <jason_antonino@...>
      Subject: Online paralegal certificate programs

      Hello. I've been seriously considering changing careers to the
      paralegal field for the last year or so. From what I understand, law
      firms and businesses that employ paralegals generally prefer to hire
      either college graduates with ABA-approved paralegal certificates or
      graduates of either 2 or 4-year paralegal programs.

      I hold a BS degree in Engineering and am planning on taking an
      online paralegal certificate program. There are 4 schools that I am
      considering - AIPS (American Institute for Paralegal Studies), WOLI
      (Washington Online Learning Institute), Kaplan University, and
      ParalegalTech Institute. They all seem like very good programs, but
      AIPS is the only one that is nationally accredited (ACCET).
      Washington Online claims that its national paralegal certificate
      program is ABA-compliant.

      Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about online paralegal
      certificate programs? Anyone know anything about these 4 schools I
      mentioned?

      Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!