"nurse paralegals"

  • momcat_wv
    Message 1 of 474 , Feb 3 2:45 PM
      I need help. What is your take on "nurse
      paralegals"? I'm not talking about professional legal nurse
      consultants (those who have professional medicolegal
      training, much as a nurse would go to paralegal school
      after completing his/her medical training), but am
      talking about nurses pulled in off the street who think
      they're lawyers and, consequently, who commit regular
      UPL.<br><br>There are nurses in my firm and both write letters to
      experts and counsel that are problematic -- they say and
      do things that are definitely UPL in nature; they
      say and do things that could cause privileged
      communications to lose their privilege; they have no real,
      substantive legal knowledge and, therefore, know just enough
      to make themselves really dangerous. The biggest
      problem is these people consider themselves "above" being
      told about the error of their ways by attorneys or
      paralegals, and they're out of control.<br><br>I have a
      problem with this: (1) a non-lawyer should not supervise
      and direct people to act in a "legal" capacity
      because that non-lawyer has no ability (academically
      speaking) to know the difference between UPL and non-UPL,
      and that person does not have the substantive
      knowledge to even hazard an educated guess about what is or
      is not right or wrong; (2) UPL is UPL is UPL; and
      (3) if I take "supervision" from a non-lawyer,
      doesn't that make me guilty of UPL in a roundabout sort
      of way? (I don't take their "supervision" because I
      don't think they have capacity to supervise me. I will
      work "with" a nurse, but not "for" a nurse.)<br><br>I
      know this is going to stir up a stink but I need some
      perspective, so please give me some.<br><br>momcat
    • Carol Johnson
      Message 474 of 474 , Oct 16, 2006
        Contratulations Kent,

        I am still trying to get an interview.

        kent_1wa <kent_1wa@...> wrote:
        Congrats!

        Good luck on your job search. -
        -- In allparalegalsnetworkingetc@yahoogroups.com, tee_cee_12 wrote:

        > I am so excited!! I finished my paralegal studies
        > program this week!! I am now officially a paralegal
        > :)<br><br>I started the job hunt a week ago and 2 people have
        > taken the bait. I have to call them back to set up

        Carol Ann Culbert Johnson
        www.carolannjohnson.net
        Author of "I Confess"