Newbie to group with a question....

  • pip33_22
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      I'm so glad I came across this group!!! I am a trademark paralegal
      in Chicago. I've been doing this for four years. My question for
      all of you is....how hard is it to switch practice areas if you don't
      have any experience in that particular field? I have been working as
      a trademark paralegal for four years, but would like to get into real
      estate or litigation. All of the job listings I find require
      experience. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks in
      advance for your advice! Kristin
    • christina selio
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
        I cant answer your question, but i have one for you.
        What kind of area is trademark law. Do you like it?
        What r the lawyers like that you work for? What made
        you decide to go into this area? I just got my
        associates degree in paralegal.
        --- pip33_22 <pip33_22@...> wrote:
        > I'm so glad I came across this group!!! I am a
        > trademark paralegal
        > in Chicago. I've been doing this for four years.
        > My question for
        > all of you is....how hard is it to switch practice
        > areas if you don't
        > have any experience in that particular field? I
        > have been working as
        > a trademark paralegal for four years, but would like
        > to get into real
        > estate or litigation. All of the job listings I
        > find require
        > experience. Has anyone else run into this problem?
        > Thanks in
        > advance for your advice! Kristin

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • Rachel A. Hacker
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
          Kristin,

          I have found that small firms tend to be more forgiving if you don't
          have much experience. While it is true that most don't offer a benefits
          package to speak of and don't pay very well, they will still give you
          the experience you need to then move on to a larger firm. Litigation
          isn't a hard field to breach, provided you have all of the training need
          (trial preparation, drafting, research, etc.). Real Estate, however, is
          like Trademark, in that it requires a very specialized set of skills.
          That one you may need to work on getting some experience in before you
          try for the big job.

          Rachel H

          I'm so glad I came across this group!!! I am a trademark paralegal
          in Chicago. I've been doing this for four years. My question for
          all of you is....how hard is it to switch practice areas if you don't
          have any experience in that particular field? I have been working as
          a trademark paralegal for four years, but would like to get into real
          estate or litigation. All of the job listings I find require
          experience. Has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks in
          advance for your advice! Kristin

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c24hstu/M=243273.4510124.5685162.1261774/D=eg
          roupweb/S=1705059415:HM/EXP=1075931102/A=1750744/R=0/*http:/servedby.adv
          ertising.com/click/site=552006/bnum=1075844702472077> Click to learn
          more...

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243273.4510124.5685162.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1750744/rand=460955098>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          nsubscribe>

        • pip33_22
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
            Trademark law is under Intellectual Property. It's not a horrible
            area of the law. Actually, it can be very interesting. I decided to
            go into this area because I already had some exposure to it when I
            worked as a secretary in a small firm. However, since I don't have
            any patent experience, most firms won't take a second look at me.
            While Intellectual Property is a lucrative field, I suggest making
            sure that the firm you work for will train you in both patents and
            trademarks. When do you graduate? Do you have to pick a specialty?
            Good luck!

            --- In allparalegalsnetworkingetc@yahoogroups.com, christina selio
            <chrstna1519@y...> wrote:
            > I cant answer your question, but i have one for you.
            > What kind of area is trademark law. Do you like it?
            > What r the lawyers like that you work for? What made
            > you decide to go into this area? I just got my
            > associates degree in paralegal.
            > --- pip33_22 <pip33_22@y...> wrote:
            > > I'm so glad I came across this group!!! I am a
            > > trademark paralegal
            > > in Chicago. I've been doing this for four years.
            > > My question for
            > > all of you is....how hard is it to switch practice
            > > areas if you don't
            > > have any experience in that particular field? I
            > > have been working as
            > > a trademark paralegal for four years, but would like
            > > to get into real
            > > estate or litigation. All of the job listings I
            > > find require
            > > experience. Has anyone else run into this problem?
            > > Thanks in
            > > advance for your advice! Kristin

            > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
          • S
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
              It is not easy to change direction, but not impossible - You might
              look for a firm that does Trademark litigation - that will add to
              your lit experience, while keeping use of your other experience -
              another helpful thing is take seminars in areas of interest, and, if
              you can find them, volunteer for pro bono work in that area. Add
              those items to your cover letter, and you might get an opportunity

              --- In allparalegalsnetworkingetc@yahoogroups.com, "pip33_22"