Re: cost efficient landscape ideas -allguage

  • gigeastman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2005
      Wendy
      The Lionel should be worth cleaning up and getting going. Many people
      mix scales. The more common method is to run the larger trains at the
      forward or lower parts of the layout and the smaller scale to the
      back or upper levels. This gives you a sense of depth to the layout.

      Steve "papa" Eastman

      --- In allgauge@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy" <wendydia@s...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Wayne. All ideas help. Anyone else willing to sound in with
      > more landscaping ideas? Be kind--I'm a beginner.Also, any pix of
      > two-or-more tier layouts would be appreciated. I can't visualize
      from
      > simple diagrams. The Atlas Super Pretzel looks pretty cool, or
      > something like it, but I just can't visualize it. Any ideas, anyone?
      > Plus, my dad wants to give me his Lionel O-guage he had when he was
      > pup. All my stuff's HO scale, but he has old track and the whole
      > works. Is it worthwhile to try to get vintage stuff to run? I recall
      > it did work when I was a pup, but that was 30 or so years ago.
      > Anyone's thoughts are welcome.
      > Wendy
      >
      > --- In allgauge@yahoogroups.com, wpearson@l... wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Wendy,
      > > I sift sawdust through a screen soup strainer and soak it in
      > > green, brown, or tan RIT fabric dye (mixed as directed in water).
      > > This definitely saves money on pasture-sized layout terrain. I
      > > use plaster of paris on scuplted window screening to make hills,
      > > ledges, etc., and I mix a lot of brown latex paint with the
      plaster, to
      > > make a better likeness of dirt. (RIT dye and plaster don't work as
      > > well, and acidic things, like tea, stop the plaster from
      hardening).
      > > Wayne@w... http://www.waynesrealisticproducts.com
      > > > Hi, all. New member here. Finally: I have the space to set up a
      > > > layout! I found a diagram of the Atlas Super Pretzel that looked
      > > neat,
      > > > but could not visualize how it would look. Anyone have any
      notions
      > > of
      > > > sites that might help out. And/or does anyone have pix of any
      other
      > > > 8x8 or thereabouts layouts. Multi-level is a must. Would have
      to be
      > > > room for a hinged trap door in the center of the board so I can
      pop
      > > up
      > > > and reach everything.I'm small: this can work! Track can go
      around
      > > the
      > > > door. Visualize a town/country motif: I'll pop up in a pasture!
      > > Also
      > > > any leads on cost-efficient landscape stuff would be great. E-
      bay
      > > > looks good at first, but they get ya on the shipping, I've
      noticed.
      > > > Well, obviously I'm a beginner, so any thought would be
      > > appreciated.
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Wendy

    • Wendy DiAlesandro
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
        Whoa. Clean it up and get it going? I wouldn't know
        where to start, is the problem. I just wanna play with
        paint and sawdust and paper mache and detail my
        buildings and run a train through Wendy's World. I
        know training can get technical but my thought is to
        stay out of that end.Maybe the old man should keep his
        O-gauge if its not likely to run after oh say 30
        years.
        Wendy

        ---------------------------------

        wrote:

        > > Hi Wendy,
        > > I sift sawdust through a screen soup strainer
        and soak it in
        > > green, brown, or tan RIT fabric dye (mixed as
        directed in water).
        > > This definitely saves money on pasture-sized
        layout terrain. I
        > > use plaster of paris on scuplted window screening
        to make hills,
        > > ledges, etc., and I mix a lot of brown latex paint
        with the
        plaster, to
        > > make a better likeness of dirt. (RIT dye and
        plaster don't work as
        > > well, and acidic things, like tea, stop the
        plaster from
        hardening).
        > > Wayne@w...
        http://www.waynesrealisticproducts.com
        > > > Hi, all. New member here. Finally: I have the
        space to set up a
        > > > layout! I found a diagram of the Atlas Super
        Pretzel that looked
        > > neat,
        > > > but could not visualize how it would look.
        Anyone have any
        notions
        > > of
        > > > sites that might help out. And/or does anyone
        have pix of any
        other
        > > > 8x8 or thereabouts layouts. Multi-level is a
        must. Would have
        to be
        > > > room for a hinged trap door in the center of the
        board so I can
        pop
        > > up
        > > > and reach everything.I'm small: this can work!
        Track can go
        around
        > > the
        > > > door. Visualize a town/country motif: I'll pop
        up in a pasture!
        > > Also
        > > > any leads on cost-efficient landscape stuff
        would be great. E-
        bay
        > > > looks good at first, but they get ya on the
        shipping, I've
        noticed.
        > > > Well, obviously I'm a beginner, so any thought
        would be
        > > appreciated.
        > > > Thanks,
        > > > Wendy

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • allanegleston
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
          Did any one see this months issue of Classic Toy Trains. Where a fellow
          had both "o" and "s" guage running together?
          This fellow had several layers of "s" guaage near the top and 2 layers
          of "o"guage near or at the bottom layer. The "o" guage was for running
          M.T.H subway trains(2 layers) with classic and modern A-Flyern on top.
          Very Nicely done.
        • Wendy DiAlesandro
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
            That sounds neat. Wonder how likely the old man's
            trains are to run after 35 years, and where to take
            them if they don't. Any one know anyone near Kent
            Ohio?

            --- allanegleston <allanegleston@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Did any one see this months issue of Classic Toy
            Trains. Where a fellow
            had both "o" and "s" guage running together?
            This fellow had several layers of "s" guaage near the
            top and 2 layers
            of "o"guage near or at the bottom layer. The "o" guage
            was for running
            M.T.H subway trains(2 layers) with classic and modern
            A-Flyern on top.
            Very Nicely done.

            Toy
            trains Model