Hi everyone!

  • ibenjamin816
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
      I've been meaning to start this list for a while, and then Sloane
      (http://allergicgirl.blogspot.com/) asked me if I wanted to do a
      Jewish recipe swap and I thought "hey, why not let anyone who wants to
      in on it?" Thus, the YahooGroup.

      As most of you know I keep the blog http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com
      - but it will be nice to have somewhere to talk just about kosher
      and/or Jewish cooking and food.

      Shall we do introductions?

      Here's mine: I'm from New York but have been living in Oakland, CA
      (near SF) for 6 years now. I've been becoming more traditional lately
      when it comes to Judaism, I'd say I identify with Conservative Judaism
      most. I keep a modified form of kosher - I don't have separate dishes
      yet because I live with a housemate but I will hopefully soon be
      kashering my kitchen. I eat pareve foods without a hecksher and am not
      cholov yisroel.

      I am very gluten intolerant. Dairy and soy make me pretty sick, but my
      reaction to them varies. I haven't successfully cut them out of my
      diet completely, so you'll see I sometimes post recipes that use them
      as ingredients. But I am trying to avoid them more these days. That's
      it for food intolerances, thankfully. I am also cutting down on
      refined sugar consumption cause it makes me feel all jittery and wierd.

      And, most importantly... I love to cook! I look forward to sharing
      recipes with you all.

      Isaiah
    • peninah.leah
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2006
        Great idea Isaiah! This is awesome. It was something I always said "I
        should do" and just never did. ;)

        I'm in Brooklyn -- Flatbush (ok ok I'll admit to it, Midwood) and I
        wasn't raised observant (I grew up on the East End of Long Island) so
        I have a VERY eclectic set of foods I love. It's been a challenge
        learning to make some of my favorites (korean) so I could still eat
        them when I became observant and kosher. I try to keep cholov yisrael
        but don't always. I will buy regular milk (as the cholov yisrael
        seemed to "go bad" faster for us and while it was just an annoyance it
        was a big one) but I only buy CY cheese.

        I guess you would say I'm orthodox, modern orthodox. I would say I'm
        observant. I hate labels.

        A few years ago I was diagnosed with fibromalygia and wheat
        really gives me flare ups (more intense joint pain and more GI
        stress). I still eat way too much of it but I'm much happier and
        healthier if I don't eat it.

        I had an allergy test and she said I'm allergic to potato but I've
        never experienced any reaction and I'm not sure I fully understood
        her. I have no idea what I'd do if I had intense potato reaction. I'd
        probably have to get some type of heter for pesach to be able to eat
        rice! ;)

        I've been lactose intolerant on and off my whole life.

        I am 99% vegetarian and am working to get more processed foods out of
        my routine.

        Sugar and salt (especially salt) are my weaknesses. Oh and coffee. I
        drank two cups of coffee tonight (after 6pm) on a mostly empty
        stomach, that's probably why this message is the length and
        scatterness that it is. I also love popcorn. :)

        I'm married (no kids, we have a hamster) and my husband is a VERY
        picky eater. He won't eat [much] onion or mushrooms. It can make being
        vege fairly difficult.

        I'm eagerly awaiting a move to a new place or our kitchen being
        renovated so that I will be happier cooking. (we talk about it but
        haven't moved yet. I went back for grad school instead of renovating
        the kitchen) I don't bake much but have been eying a bread machine
        with a gluten free option and think that would greatly improve my
        life. I love to cook but with little fuss. I could probably give
        Rachel Ray a run for her money as I can make shabbos in about 20
        minutes or less.

        I'll try to gather some of my favorite allergy-ok recipes. I have a
        few others which are not totally allergy friendly. I should fix them.

        Should we do a poll as to what allergies people have? Most of my
        recipes have egg in them. [Isaiah if you need help setting up any poll
        i have done quite a few of them.]

        kol tuv,

        /peninah

        ps warning I write at www.penguingirl.com and I knit and read as much
        as I cook.
      • ibenjamin816
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          Peninah,

          A poll is a great idea - I will put one up when I have the chance!
          Also, I have fibromyalgia, too (pretty severely).

          There are 12 members now - So, pipe up folks, and introduce yourselves!

          IB
        • kastex4
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
            --- In allergicjews@yahoogroups.com, "ibenjamin816"
            <isaiah.benjamin@...> wrote:

            > I've been meaning to start this list for a while, and then Sloane
            > (http://allergicgirl.blogspot.com/) asked me if I wanted to do a
            > Jewish recipe swap and I thought "hey, why not let anyone who wants to
            > in on it?" Thus, the YahooGroup.
            >
            > As most of you know I keep the blog http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com
            > - but it will be nice to have somewhere to talk just about kosher
            > and/or Jewish cooking and food.
            >
            > Shall we do introductions?
            >
            > Here's mine: I'm from New York but have been living in Oakland, CA
            > (near SF) for 6 years now. I've been becoming more traditional lately
            > when it comes to Judaism, I'd say I identify with Conservative Judaism
            > most. I keep a modified form of kosher - I don't have separate dishes
            > yet because I live with a housemate but I will hopefully soon be
            > kashering my kitchen. I eat pareve foods without a hecksher and am not
            > cholov yisroel.
            >
            > I am very gluten intolerant. Dairy and soy make me pretty sick, but my
            > reaction to them varies. I haven't successfully cut them out of my
            > diet completely, so you'll see I sometimes post recipes that use them
            > as ingredients. But I am trying to avoid them more these days. That's
            > it for food intolerances, thankfully. I am also cutting down on
            > refined sugar consumption cause it makes me feel all jittery and wierd.
            >
            > And, most importantly... I love to cook! I look forward to sharing
            > recipes with you all.
            >
            > Isaiah

            I'm starting from the beginning! My sister lives in Oakland!! As
            well as my husbands cousin (same last name)! Way cool!! I didn't put
            2 and 2 together!! I've visited your blog! Even have it bookmarked!
            : )

            Here's to coincidence!!

            kathi